News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Old Ford pics

Started by CobraJoe, 2018-06-05 19:29

Previous topic - Next topic

hemidave

Misquamicut beach erosion control after hurricane Carol
'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

mustang6984

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2019-03-22 04:04
I stand corrected, it was a 0.9Litre ( 56.9cui) 4.

here is a link to explain the tax horsepower system

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_horsepower

Thanks G... :006:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

rmk57

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2019-03-22 05:09
More Chevy's than Ford, but still a cool pic from a Company many of us spent our hard earned money with....

As a 12-13 year old I helped out a motorcycle shop on Whittier Blvd back in the late 60's and remember and looked forward to driving by Dougs Headers and checking out the funny cars, altereds, stockers, etc. they had parked in the lot. 

Great photo.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

CobraJoe

Quote from: rmk57 on 2019-03-22 13:19
As a 12-13 year old I helped out a motorcycle shop on Whittier Blvd back in the late 60's and remember and looked forward to driving by Dougs Headers and checking out the funny cars, altereds, stockers, etc. they had parked in the lot. 

Great photo.

from a member on the HAMB:

"Actually here is the real scoop. The original company that Doug Thorley started was a muffler shop back in 1958 in East LA. In the early 60's Doug started to make headers and "Headers by Doug" stickers started showing up on winning drag cars. Doug and wife Betty sold the company and got divorced and new owner Micky called it Doug Thorley Headers. A number of years went by and Micky got sick and asked for help. Betty came back in to run things and Micky got worse. He ended up selling the company back to Betty, Doug and a third partner. Doug mainly did R&D and was an investor. Eventually He and Betty had another falling out and she agreed to buy him out. Doug kind of stayed away at this time, occasionally coming around to help out with a little R&D and collect his payments. Betty then got sick and at this time Doug started doing custom headers again under the Doug's Headers name. During this time Doug Thorley Headers was mainly making truck and motor home headers, not muscle car or performance parts. Betty passed and Doug started making production headers again for the classic and muscle car markets. After about another year, the surviving partner sold Doug Thorley Headers to Summit Industries (not the mail order guys) in Corona, Ca who previously had bought out Jerry Jardine of Jardine Headers.
PerTronix, who had previously acquired Ermie Immerso Ind and Thunderbird Headers bought Doug's Headers and Doug worked to help keep the Doug's Headers line a top quality product. PerTronix sells and manufactures them as a premium line to compliment their Patriot Header line. They are currently made in Rancho Dominguez (think north Long Beach) CA.
Doug was also famous for his drag cars - The Chevy II Much that is in the NHRA museum, the Funny Car Corviar that Joe Piasano ended up with, and the pair of rear/mid engined Javelin's.
"
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

CobraJoe

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2019-03-20 08:24
Wow...the current "Classic Auto Parts" on I35 surface road in Oklahoma City use to be named "Ford Obsolete". Same business? any info on that pic Joe?

Ford Parts Obsolete was in Los Angeles, CA in the late 1960's and then it moved to Long Beach in the early 1970's.

From a member on the HAMB:

"You knew you were close when you looked down the road and saw the hallowed out Model T on the roof of the building (used in both locations)
Here is a picture of the 1970 Long Beach catalog. This version of their catalog was my favorite. I loved the picture on the front. I could imagine myself as the young man with the smile on his face, standing next to the farmer.

Rebuilt short block engines were $199.50 exchange
Rebuilt transmissions were $58.50 exchange
Mallory distributors $24.95
354 R&P $48.50
muffler & exhaust clamps $9.50.

There was a small write up in Hot Rod July 1961, 2/3rds of a page near the back of the mag.

Actual magazine photo (not cropped) w/ Hot Rod watermark

1963 catalog:

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

mustang6984

Great history info! Thanks!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Lou

In the mid 1960s I started a antique auto parts business here called Connecticut Antique Auto Parts. Ford Parts Obsolete offered me a good deal and the became one of my suppliers. They were great to do business with and I have only good things to say about them.

CobraJoe

hemidave

'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

hiball3985

ladys
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Lou

Note the side trim on the convertible.

KYBlueOval

I wondered about that as well.

djfordmanjack

djfordmanjack

beautiful Skyliner. Can't believe how well the golden anodized trim goes with the inca gold paint. stunning !

CobraJoe