News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Old Ford pics

Started by CobraJoe, 2018-06-05 19:29

Previous topic - Next topic

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

mustang6984

She sorta looks like she is stunned.."WHAT is this and what do I do with it" is going through her head! LOL!!!
Was that one of Daryl Starbird's creations maybe?  :003:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

1954 Ford FX Atmos

"Few concept cars encapsulated the jet age better than Ford's F/X Atmos, which was unveiled at the Chicago Auto Show in March, 1954.
Styled by Ford Studio designer John Middlestead, the Ford F/X Atmos show car was fiberglass 'pushmobile' with no powertrain, although Ford PR flacks suggested that it was the type of car which could be powered by nuclear energy. It was painted in patriotic red, pearlescent white and blue colors. F/X stood for Future Experimental; the vehicle was steered with hand grips, had a radar screen, and driver sat in the center. Two needle-like protrusions from the front fender pods were allegedly radio antennae for collision-free auto piloting.
Wheelbase was 105 inches; length was 221 inches - with enormous front and back overhangs - and the swoopy dream car was a mere 48 inches in height. Lewis D. Crusoe, a top Ford executive, commented, "This car is not intended for future production, although the design represents one of the many avenues which styling could be used for future studies."

from another article:

"Apparently designed with the intention of skewering pedestrians as if on a spit, the Ford FX Atmos was first revealed at the 1954 Chicago Auto Show. And, although pedestrians were in grave danger, driver visibility was outstanding, with a center driving position and a panoramic bubble roof with hardly any pillars to block the driver's view of the road.
The car also had other futuristic design cues, like the swept-back tail fins, dual rocket-like exhaust outlets, and dual handgrips instead of a steering wheel. On the dash, apparently there was also a "Roadarscope" display screen that provided roadway information, but we were unable to locate an image of the Roadarscope in action (from what we did find, it wasn't functioning but was merely a design concept in 1954). The car even was supposed to have an auto-pilot feature would use plates installed in the ground to guide it.
Detroit took a lot of design inspiration in the 1950s and 1960s from the space program, inspired by people's fascination with space travel. And one would probably feel like George Jetson himself driving the FX Atmos around the neighborhood."

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

mustang6984

Wonder if it is still around today or was crushed like so many other "prototype" cars were. That would be something to see today.

I have been through about 1/3 of the Henry Ford in Detroit, but haven't seen it. One of these days I hope to get through the entire place, maybe I'll find it there.

Thanks for the info.  :003:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

hiball3985

I don't have a clue?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hemidave

I want one !
'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

mustang6984

quote I don't have a clue?

Looks like an aluminum bodied car...but I have no idea either.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

John Palmer

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2019-04-17 07:23
I don't have a clue?

I believe it to be a Pontiac or Oldsmobile concept car.  Kind of their version of a Corvette.

I still love these old photos, and don't care if one Brand X slips in.

CobraJoe

Quote from: mustang6984 on 2019-04-17 05:12
Wonder if it is still around today or was crushed like so many other "prototype" cars were. That would be something to see today.

I have been through about 1/3 of the Henry Ford in Detroit, but haven't seen it. One of these days I hope to get through the entire place, maybe I'll find it there.

Thanks for the info.  :003:

The FX Atmos was made out of some type of early plastic (from what I have read) and sagged severely from the heat of lights and/or sun and was quickly destroyed.

CobraJoe

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2019-04-17 07:23
I don't have a clue?

John is right, it's a 1956 Pontiac Club de Mer , pretty cool actually (even for an 'off brand")  :003:

Check out the link, some pretty cool stuff

"The 1956 Motorama show car Club de Mer was powered by a V8 with two four-barreled carburetors. This sleek two-seater had a rear transaxle with independent rear suspension. It had a 104" wheelbase, was 180" long and 37" high. A crush grain vermillion leather interior harmonized with the cerulean blue paint scheme.

Very low and very swoopy, the Pontiac Club de Mer debuted at the 1956 GM Motorama. This two passenger sports car had twin-bubble Plexiglas cafe racer windscreens, stood a mere 38" high and had an aluminum body, a 300 horsepower modified Pontiac V-8 engine and a DiDion independent rear suspension. The front nacelle rotates 180 degrees to expose the headlamps."

http://www.carstyling.ru/ru/car/1956_pontiac_club_de_mer/

CobraJoe

hiball3985

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2019-04-17 14:39
John is right, it's a 1956 Pontiac Club de Mer , pretty cool actually (even for an 'off brand")  :003:

Check out the link, some pretty cool stuff

"The 1956 Motorama show car Club de Mer was powered by a V8 with two four-barreled carburetors. This sleek two-seater had a rear transaxle with independent rear suspension. It had a 104" wheelbase, was 180" long and 37" high. A crush grain vermillion leather interior harmonized with the cerulean blue paint scheme.

Very low and very swoopy, the Pontiac Club de Mer debuted at the 1956 GM Motorama. This two passenger sports car had twin-bubble Plexiglas cafe racer windscreens, stood a mere 38" high and had an aluminum body, a 300 horsepower modified Pontiac V-8 engine and a DiDion independent rear suspension. The front nacelle rotates 180 degrees to expose the headlamps."

http://www.carstyling.ru/ru/car/1956_pontiac_club_de_mer/
Thank you for the info. So many old pictures don't include a description and here is another I don't have a clue.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

FiveSevenLiter

Bowman and Schwartz built Phantom Corsair, I believe the owner was a member of the Heinz Ketchup family.
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

hemidave

A nice '63
'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

CobraJoe