News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Old Ford pics

Started by CobraJoe, 2018-06-05 19:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom S

Quote from: mustang6984 on 2019-05-06 23:12
Or modified it.
That's the same thing, just not as specific.

Quote from: mustang6984 on 2019-05-06 23:12
Not that anyone would dare do such a thing! LOL!!!   :003:

Yeah, I wouldn't think of it.

CobraJoe

Quote from: Tom S on 2019-05-06 20:05
Woah! The only '32 Fords that had suicide doors are the 3 Window coupes.  Apparently somebody cut the top off of one :(

"This is what a typical Southern California '32 Ford hot rod looked like back in the day. This one was photographed in 1962 at fifth-mile drags in Virginia Beach, Virginia, running 79.53 miles per hour in the 14's. Owned by Joe Montgomery, its power came from a 100-horsepower, 292-inch flathead with a single carb."
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

hemidave

Having fun
'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

hiball3985

Got to love the woodies
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

CobraJoe

One of the ten flathead-powered front-drive Miller-Ford Special open-wheel racers built for the 1935 Indy 500. Photo taken during practice, prior to paint and racing livery.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

RICH MUISE

Haha....that pic of the guy on the go kart brought a smile to my face....the shoes of all things. Tom McCan's Snap Jacks. They were the Kool thing in the early sixties....63ish.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hemidave

Good catch on the shoes, I had a pair and loved them !
'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

CobraJoe

Don Garlits first dragster...

hemidave

Good old SERVICE stations

mustang6984

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2019-05-09 05:21
Don Garlits first dragster...

Imagine the thoughts that go through his mind when he thinks of the speed that car made doing 1320, vs. the speed his last car made. Must be a rush all over again!  :burnout:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

True... those guys thought they were "flying" back then!

Don Garlits first dragster flathead engine

CobraJoe

Don Garlits dragster slingshot

mustang6984

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2019-05-09 18:36
Don Garlits dragster slingshot

Is it my imagination...or do the rear tires in each of the last 2 shots look like "home made" slicks? They look like street tires that have had the tread grooves shaved off. Probably good for 2-3 passes then needing new rubber.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

John Palmer

They were just "recaps".  They had the local tire shop grind off all of the original carcass rubber, then they wrapped the new rubber around the tire, it looked like a continuous rubber band.  Then it went into the tire mold which had a minimum number of grooves (usually two to four) and then it went into the vulcanizer to melt it all together.  The minimum grooves were to make them "street legal".

The last set of recap slicks I had were maybe 30 years ago and were made by Caldwell Tire in Pasadena, CA., before they closed up.

The recap slicks were a poor substitute for real M&H racing slicks.  The real slicks work because of the flexible sidewalls.

mustang6984

Quote from: John Palmer on 2019-05-09 21:30
They were just "recaps".  They had the local tire shop grind off all of the original carcass rubber, then they wrapped the new rubber around the tire, it looked like a continuous rubber band.  Then it went into the tire mold which had a minimum number of grooves (usually two to four) and then it went into the vulcanizer to melt it all together.  The minimum grooves were to make them "street legal".

The last set of recap slicks I had were maybe 30 years ago and were made by Caldwell Tire in Pasadena, CA., before they closed up.

The recap slicks were a poor substitute for real M&H racing slicks.  The real slicks work because of the flexible sidewalls.

I didn't know M & H was in business at the time these photos were taken. The pic looks like it was from early 50's.
I understand why "real" slicks work...I just remember guys talking about shaving their street tires down to where the grooves were pretty much gone...using them at thew tracks for 2-3 passes and then having to get new tires. Thought that was what I was looking at here.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker