News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Old Ford pics

Started by CobraJoe, 2018-06-05 19:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

We shaved street tires for our road race cars as well.  This was before the "sticky" tires were common.  Shaving down to the wear bars gave a good day of track time before they were gone.  Bought blems, cheaper then what was on the shelf.  The full tread depth allowed a bunch of tread "squirm" and made the car feel greasy.  Shaving them eliminated that greasy feel and let the car plant solid.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hemidave

SPEED SHOP
'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

RICH MUISE

Haha..sign of the times..........I thought the guy in orange was looking at his cell phone, but wait..............
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hemidave

Supposedly 1 of 4
'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

rmk57

A 4-door hardtop wagon? Can't say I've ever seen one.

40 years ago I had a 4 door hardtop LTD. Fairly rare car also.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

Seems like I've seen some Buicks and Olds, but never a Ford. Wonder about the 1 of 4........was that from Ford or aftermarket? I also am curious about how the glass is set up on the rear doors with that chrome piece at the back edge.
Off topic, but my '05 Outback wagon has a unique setup. There are the regular pillars on the body, but the doors are hardtop style.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

That looks a lot like Swedish license plates on the 60 4dr wagon and it appears to have the typical 4drht (town sedan) stubby 'c posts' on the rear doors, necessary to make the rear side glass fully retractable. on earlier 4dhts (1956) the rear doors overlapped by at least 4" to cope with that.
The Swedes are reknown in Europe as the 'East Coast' Custom scene. They would build strange and crazy Kustoms and oddly shaped 'coachbuild' American cars even in the 1960s and 70s. it appears as if the rear roof portion came from a 61 to 64 wagon?!

Quote from: hemidave on 2019-05-11 09:25
Supposedly 1 of 4

an og 60 wgn has a totally different tailgate design, a friend of mine owns one ( not this one).

CobraJoe

27 T roadster powered by a blown 37 Cord V8 by Lycoming who ran the engine backwards to get the rear drive to work

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

mustang6984

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2019-05-11 18:43
27 T roadster powered by a blown 37 Cord V8 by Lycoming who ran the engine backwards to get the rear drive to work

BACKWARDS?!?!?! Hey...now that's kinda sorta like me! LOL!!!   :smtree2:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Tom S

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2019-05-11 13:47
... 60 wgn has a totally different tailgate design ...

Am I alone in disliking the 1960 Ford tail lights? I always liked the big round Ford tail lights.
Maybe something like these 61 style tail lights could have worked.
But I just couldn't get a big light to work on the left side with this wagon pic. Crop! :003:
How 'bout some ovaled out to big enough 1962 style lights like I photo stuck on the '60 Starr'.

CobraJoe

hemidave

Richmond, IN.

SkylinerRon

Back in the early 60's the owner of the garage I worked for was a former sportscar racer (Jaguars).

He told me they shaved the treads down for their road course races.

I've been going to the drags since 1962, most local racers back then had recap slicks. They cost between $35-50/pair then. Most any tire shop could recap them.

One of the local (Wash,DC) area tire guys sold his "Big Bobs Indy Widetracks"  recaps for years. West coast guys had "Bruce Slicks" back then.

Racers started radically dropping air pressure and screwing the tires to the rims in 1964. Wrinklewall slicks followed the next season.

M&H has been in business since the 50's. Marv Rifchin got rich selling slicks.

Ron.

CobraJoe