News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Old Ford pics

Started by CobraJoe, 2018-06-05 19:29

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

The F O R D letters are missing and the grill is bashed in, wander what year that was taken?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

Not sure why, but I am thinking about the Mamas and Papas. that would be around 1965. but I don't really know if its them.

djfordmanjack

I found the caption online:

QuotePhotograph caption dated December 22, 1962 reads "Scrub for dollars is the theme for the benefit car wash which will be held Sunday by Valley high school students at Woodman Ave. and Vanowen St., Van Nuys, and Bakman Ave. and Magnolia Blvd., North Hollywood. All proceeds will be used for Woodcraft Rangers Camperships. Among 40 'washers' will be, from left, Cheryl Angel, Art Shartsis, Judie Jones and Mike Gold."

hemidave

Would the "year" sticker only be placed on the rear plate in CA ?
'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

dgasman

Yes the year sticker is only on the rear plate in Cali . But the car in the picture still has the yellow/black plates and in 62 Cali changed to black/yellow plates.
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

djfordmanjack

does that mean everybody had to get the new black and yellow 63 plates on their registered cars, or were you allowed to keep the yellow 56 plates ?

CobraJoe

Not sure about CA, but in MA, the plates used to alternate Red to Green every year until 1949.Dated red for even years, dated green for odd and I believe you could keep the old plates.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

djfordmanjack

With 'keepin' I do not mean keeping the plate in your posession and tacking them on the shop wall, but keeping them ON the actual car and having it insuranced and registered. I know that the black and yellow Californian plates are still legal today, but could you leave the old yellow plates on the car in , lets say 63-64 ?
With MA, I know that you got a new plate every year, before they had the stickers or labels.

djfordmanjack

Joe, did Jay ever tell you the story about the 6321 plates ?..... that was insane.
when I bought the 34 from him, I was looking for vintage MA plates for decoration purpose. said and done I purchased a set of red 1934 plates online from another collector (without Jay knowing about it). only after that we found out that Jay knew that person from local flea markets. so now I had the 1934 6321 plates ( a full set), when we found out that a close friend of Jay, who has since passed away unfortunately, had his 1936 cabriolet registered on the period correct 1936 6321 plates, which of course is totally legal for collector cars in MA.

Now what are the odds of me flying over from Europe, to purchase an old car and seemingly random seperate plates, only to find the friend of the seller of the car, having exactly these numbers, which, most certainly belonged to the same person and car  80 years ago, when they needed to replace the plates every year. This is insane. Jay and I are still having a laugh and headshake over this coincidence. OR was it even coincidence ?  :003:

hemidave

'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

hiball3985

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2021-02-01 15:25
I found the caption online:
Tanks G, thats interesting. Close to me and my son was a WoodCraft Ranger..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2021-02-02 04:29
does that mean everybody had to get the new black and yellow 63 plates on their registered cars, or were you allowed to keep the yellow 56 plates ?
You could keep the plates until the car was sold and a new registration was needed by the new owner the best I remember. Many people here still run period correct plates which is allowed. You can see the yellow plates on my friends wagon.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

Thank you Jim, that is exactly what I wanted to know.

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2021-02-02 07:38
You could keep the plates until the car was sold and a new registration was needed by the new owner the best I remember.

That Inca Gold Colonial White wagon of your friend is just so pretty !
My Del Rio had (original to it) black Cali plates before it went to Az (around 2010), so it was probably sold/resold within Cali after 63. The best I know is that it was purchased from the Chino area in the late 80s or early 90s, with the Black KOY plates still on. Still have the plates as well.

that is me and Blair at the Long Beach Swap meet, where we incidently bumped into each other in the parking lot. he is a previous owner from the 1990s and he hadn't seen the car in 10 years or longer. He instantly recognized it in the parking lot, even though it had been repainted since. He even had an actual photo of it in his daily driver (15-20 years after selling the car or so), which he gave to me. Awesome memories ! :001:

hiball3985

And now we have gone back to black plates yellow lettering again. I thought about getting some for my truck to replace the blue plates and my Mustang has white plates.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

G, I think I was wrong. Only new cars got new plates or you needed to replace them for some reason. Other then that you could keep the old plates even if you were a new owner and registration.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang