News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Old Ford pics

Started by CobraJoe, 2018-06-05 19:29

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

Jim, would you mind talking and asking your friends about that. Not that it matters to me, but just very curious to know !

I have a list somewhere, and I believe it is from the 1956 era of yellow plates. and it refers certain letter codes to certain areas/counties(?) of California. So in my logic, that means, if a car was sold to another area, or if you moved to another area, it might have been necessary to replace the registration /area code on the plates ?!? This is just an assumption. but something must have made it mandatory to replace plates, because there ARE some vintage cars (pre 1963) from California, that still have the ( og, old) yellow, and many have black or blue plates. Maybe the plate letter code was only where they were issued, I really dont know.

FWIW I also still have the blue Cali plate with my 1934 Ford from when it came from Cali to the East in the 1980s.

hiball3985

I actually have a friend who collects old plates and is very knowledgeable about all the changes but do to the Covid going crazy here we don't gather as a group any longer and I don't have his phone number.
I don't ever remember the numbers being connected to any certain county. I think that was an Arizona or Nevada thing?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

dgasman

When Cali went to the black/yellow plates all the yellow/black plates were obsolete and replaced . The dmv sent you new plates and you were supposed to return the old plate but lots of people kept the yellow/black plate for garage art. I have my parents original yellow/black plate from their 55 Chevy registered to my wagon .
My ranchero still has its original  black/yellow plate on it . Cali change the plat to a blue/yellow plate in the early 70s and started to replace the black/yellow plates on registration changes.
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

hiball3985

JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

John Palmer

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2021-02-02 07:57
Thank you Jim, that is exactly what I wanted to know.

That Inca Gold Colonial White wagon of your friend is just so pretty !
My Del Rio had (original to it) black Cali plates before it went to Az (around 2010), so it was probably sold/resold within Cali after 63. The best I know is that it was purchased from the Chino area in the late 80s or early 90s, with the Black KOY plates still on. Still have the plates as well.

that is me and Blair at the Long Beach Swap meet, where we incidently bumped into each other in the parking lot. he is a previous owner from the 1990s and he hadn't seen the car in 10 years or longer. He instantly recognized it in the parking lot, even though it had been repainted since. He even had an actual photo of it in his daily driver (15-20 years after selling the car or so), which he gave to me. Awesome memories ! :001:

He still hangs around Orange/Tustin.   We call him Bare Foot Blair, because he never wears shoes.  He's a genuine character.  A true Car Guy.

John

59meteor

Quote from: hemidave on 2021-02-02 07:31

I understand that John Haskell still owns his shorty 57 wagon. Here it`s in the other lane, racing against my 70 Mach 1, at Bremerton Raceway, in the mid 80s.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

59meteor

Crap, sorry, wrong picture. This should be the right one.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

rmk57

I remember the shorty wagon at Bremerton being very entertaining to watch at the starting line, I think it had a 427 fe in it? Was the GG Mach 1 your car also? Don't you wish you could have kept them all?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

djfordmanjack

To all Cali guys, I found the old area codes in my files. it dates form 1956, so the yellow plates !

djfordmanjack

that is great to hear John !!! yeah his email is also blairfootn. does he still have the 56 Ford ?
If you run into him, can you please tell him my regards ?

Quote from: John Palmer on 2021-02-02 13:00
He still hangs around Orange/Tustin.   We call him Bare Foot Blair, because he never wears shoes.  He's a genuine character.  A true Car Guy.

John

djfordmanjack

The area code list above is correct !
I just looked up an old  original registration form of my Country Sedan. the old license plate read CET173. according to the list (CES- CGB) this means Napa Valley, which is absolutely correct. owner and titled were in Napa.

hiball3985

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2021-02-02 19:38
The area code list above is correct !
I just looked up an old  original registration form of my Country Sedan. the old license plate read CET173. according to the list (CES- CGB) this means Napa Valley, which is absolutely correct. owner and titled were in Napa.
Thats really interesting, I didn't know that. Did you see this link I posted?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_California#1914_to_1962
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hemidave

'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

59meteor

Quote from: rmk57 on 2021-02-02 13:50

I remember the shorty wagon at Bremerton being very entertaining to watch at the starting line, I think it had a 427 fe in it? Was the GG Mach 1 your car also? Don't you wish you could have kept them all?
Yes, Haskell had a FE 427 and Jerico 4 speed in the wagon. And yes, I owned that Grabber Green 70 Mach in the late 70s. 351C 4 barrel automatic car. Paid $2500.00 for it! Big $$$ considering I paid $2000. for my 70 428 CJ 4 speed Mach 1 a year or 2 later. Although the R code car needed a LF 14 panel and paint when I got it, but it did have a fresh CJ engine!

rmk57

My favorite muscle car of all time. No chin or rear spoiler, striping, badges, just a plain sportroof 69 CJ Mustang.

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429