News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

After market front sway bars

Started by lalessi1, 2015-02-15 18:09

Previous topic - Next topic

mschrader

That is correct.  Steering lock to lock the tires just touch the bar.  Both sides touch the same amount.  I have stock Ford power steering with no steering mods installed other than the spindles changed for disk brakes.  Can't tell exactly how the disk brake mod was done as I purchased the car with them already installed. Might be interesting when bearing or disk brake pads need replaced.....another day to worry about that.

RICH MUISE

If the PO used a kit for the disc brakes, and it has dropped spindles, it's a good chance the calipers,rotors, and spindles are Granada/Versailles. Also, as far as the amount of drop, those Granada kits are offered in 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 drop. If/when you need to confirm thcalipers/rotors, post a pic of your caliper and we'll see what/whose it matches here.
The reason I was asking about your steering setup, is those of us with the TBSW sway bar and Rack and Pinion steering probably won't have an issue with tire rub as the R & P already has lost us some of our turning radius. What you just posted sorta confirms that. Thanks
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

Well I attempted to put the Quickor bar in with the engine in the car minus the harmonic balancer..no cigar. Decided to wait until I pulled my engine (which I did earlier this week). Finally "finessed" the bar in with a rubber mallet and a 26" screw driver pry bar. The bar is not bolted to the frame as of now but it is in the correct location. IT is VERY tight, but it seems it will clear everything. My wheel tire combo (15x7, 4.25"BS, 225/60) is closer to the frame (and the spindle) than the swaybar at full lock. A few pictures: 
Lynn

Raven Rider

That looks like a hefty sway bar.

RICH MUISE

That Quikor bar is sure a different approach. I don't think that location would have be a problem with my 4.6....maybe coolant lines and radiator hose.
I'll restate something here I posted on another thread just to keep this swaybar info together. I got my front tires mounted yesterday and have no issues with the tires hitting the Concourse sway bar. I do have the rack and pinion setup which shortens the turning radius, but at full lock, I have about 5/8 clearance. it's posible some of that will disappear when I get the front end aligned and check the stop bolt...maybe the stop bolt is set too far out....not sure if it's that or just the travel of the rack. lol I tried to do a 360 at the intersection near my house...didn't happen, but not sure it would have with the old steering box
6" wide wheel, 3.5" backspace, 205/70-15 tires.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

The front sway bar on my 58 Edsel Pacer bolts up to brackets welded to the frame and the standard type links on the control arms, all from under the car.  In WI right now but will shoot a couple pics and post when the "return home" thrash is done.  My Edsel is a first day of production car so the frame on it is identical to 57 - 58 Fords and the idea should work.  Might be it is same as 59s?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

Well this sway bar odyssey is finally over. I removed both lower control arms and bolted the sway bar to the frame 13" from the front end of the frame to the centerline of the sway bar. This measurement was provided by KyBlueOval after he measured a '59 frame. The sway bar hit the bump stops on the frame on both sides, so I bought a '59 stock bar on eBay to see if it would clear, which it did. I spoke to Quickor and was told that this bar had never been installed on a '59 to date. I planned on cutting the bar arms and welding tabs on the square ends. Quickor provided these tabs. Next I put the lower control arms without springs only to realize that the control arm hit the sway bar about 1" from bottoming out. I tried putting the stock '59 bar on and it hit the frame on both inside corners about mid travel.

Bottom line, the '59 Quickor bar does not fit without major modifications in my opinion. I cannot say whether it would fit a '59 or not. The stock '59 bar did not work either, perhaps there is some difference between a 57 and a 59 that I am not aware of. There is a chance that the mounting position of the bar on the frame is not correct but there is such tight spacing that I didn't see it working in any location. Here are a few pics for the record... CONCOURS BAR IT IS!
Lynn

lalessi1

More pics.
Lynn

hiball3985

Mind boggling. I always thought the 57 and 59 frames would be the same. I thought I had read about other people using the stock 59 bar on a 57. Although the stock bar looks wimpy compared to Quickor.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

SkylinerRon

Have someone measure from the centerline of the shock to the centerline of the swaybar
(the shock vertical position is constant on 57-64's)
on a stock 59, parallel to the ground, that should be your starting point.
See if the stock bar clears, that should show you how to mount it.

Goodluck,

Ron.

lalessi1

I used a dimension measured from the front of the frame to the center of the sway bar. The dimension was 13" and KYBlueOval measured a '59 for me and gave me that dimension. The stock '59 bar I had mounted at that posistion actually lined up very well with the holes on the lower control arms, but it hit the inside frame corners on both sides at the same time at roughly ride height. Moving it forward by as much as an 1 1/4" didn't help. Moving it rearward wasn't an option because the frame started getting narrow there. I actually think that the '59 frame lower inside corners at this point must have a bit of a "relief".
Lynn

SkylinerRon

Suggested measuring from shock since it is a constant.  Frame horns could vary
in length from 57 to 59.
There are 6 different frames for 57/58 and 5 for 59 probably best to get some pics
of a 59 assembled and compare.
Can you post pics of yours where it hits?

Goodluck,

Ron.

lalessi1

Ron, I really appreciate your comments, I would love to see how the Edsel bar mounted.

Picture 1, where I put the bar....

Picture 2, Stock 59 location picture...
Lynn

lalessi1

pictures 3, 4, bar hitting frame.
Lynn

hiball3985

Lynn, I have a friend with a 58 Edsel Ranger I could check out but he is out of town and I have no idea when he will return, he's stuck on a court case up in Washington state..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang