News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4R70W Transmission Questions

Started by KYBlueOval, 2021-07-31 11:52

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

I have a 351W, with a carburetor, and a 4R70W Transmission (trans is from a '95 E-150 Van). What is required to make this combination "like each other" ? Do I have to get a computer for the transmission, or is there a work around? I should have asked about this months or years ago, but I didn't so, I look to those of you on the Forum to enlighten me as to how this can/will work.
Thanks
John

lalessi1

John, I think there are standalone transmission control computers. This is a link to one such company, I think Holley even has one. I just goggled standalone transmission computer....

https://www.usshift.com/

Lynn

gasman826

If I was to do it again...351W and AOD, I would look real hard at using a 4R70W.  I built the AOD to do everything that I wanted and still survive.  The down side was the cost.  I used all the 4R70W internals to beef it up and get the wide ratio gear set.  The stand alone, aftermarket 4R70W controllers are initially pricey but much cheaper that custom valve body, aftermarket servos, clutch packs, input shafts, Lokar cable and adapters...you're getting the idea.  I think the stock 4r70W with maybe larger aluminum oil pan, Lokar shifter shaft, and maybe a looser convertor would be cheaper and strong enough with adjustable shift options.  If you have not bought one yet, try to find one with the longer tail shaft/housing.  The long tail with long rear yoke will make the Crown VIC PI aluminum drive shaft a cheap fit.

lalessi1

I have a friend that has a Crown Vic aluminum drive shaft on the shelf...
Lynn

RICH MUISE

I'd also check with Ron Francis to see if they have anything available. They supplied the wiring for my 4R70W, but of course, that was part of the 4.6 /computer wiring package
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

KYBlueOval

Quote from: gasman826 on 2021-07-31 15:13
If I was to do it again...351W and AOD, I would look real hard at using a 4R70W.  I built the AOD to do everything that I wanted and still survive.  The down side was the cost.  I used all the 4R70W internals to beef it up and get the wide ratio gear set.  The stand alone, aftermarket 4R70W controllers are initially pricey but much cheaper that custom valve body, aftermarket servos, clutch packs, input shafts, Lokar cable and adapters...you're getting the idea.  I think the stock 4r70W with maybe larger aluminum oil pan, Lokar shifter shaft, and maybe a looser convertor would be cheaper and strong enough with adjustable shift options.  If you have not bought one yet, try to find one with the longer tail shaft/housing.  The long tail with long rear yoke will make the Crown VIC PI aluminum drive shaft a cheap fit.

Gary.........Can you give me any help with the "Long tail shaft/housing" ?  How do I differentiate a Long one from a Short one? What constitutes Long?  Do you recall the brand name or source of the larger oil pan?  And, I do have a Crown Vic aluminum drive shaft.

Thanks
John

RICH MUISE

John, If Gary doesn't have that dimension, I can get a reference dimension on mine Monday. Mine came from a '95 Lincoln MarkViii, and the Lincoln driveshaft fit perfectly with a 1" taller pinion yoke as Gary mentioned. Your Ranchwagon, as you know, is the same wheelbase as my Custom. My mechanic will have mine on his lift Monday.

KYBlueOval

gasman826

The one pictured is a long.  There is only about an inch difference.  Long is just over 11" and the short is just over 10".  The cheaper ones add one quart to capacity and the name brand add two quarts.  There is a used one on eBay right now: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324729244419?hash=item4b9b5f0b03:g:I0wAAOSwqyZg~1bK

I don't remember where mine came from but looks like a no-name.

KYBlueOval

As always..........Thanks Gary!  You are a wealth of information.
John

gasman826

I'm confident that you will figure it out but I can't help myself from offering a couple of tips.
1) the Lokar shift shaft is worth the cost and installation effort...many have made the OEM shaft work but the Lokar shaft is made so adjustable that it solves all linkage issues
2) some 351W flexplates are different...few 302 flexplates interchange...just make sure convertor end play and bolt pattern are compatible with the flexplate
3) the OEM crossmember can be modified to work but I would recommend starting from scratch and make a custom crossmember...custom crossmember can yield more pan and exhaust pipe clearance

RICH MUISE

I'll always defer to Gary's expertise, but here's my 2 cents on the crossmember. This mod for the oil pan worked great for me, and I had no issues with clearing the exhaust. This is a link to the mods I did.......scroll to the bottom of the page.
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=3750.135

KYBlueOval

Quote from: gasman826 on 2021-08-01 07:55
I'm confident that you will figure it out but I can't help myself from offering a couple of tips.
1) the Lokar shift shaft is worth the cost and installation effort...many have made the OEM shaft work but the Lokar shaft is made so adjustable that it solves all linkage issues
2) some 351W flex plates are different...few 302 flex plates interchange...just make sure convertor end play and bolt pattern are compatible with the flexplate
3) the OEM cross member can be modified to work but I would recommend starting from scratch and make a custom cross member...custom cross member can yield more pan and exhaust pipe clearance

Gary, Thanks again.
1  The Lokar shift shaft  ( say that 3 times fast) is installed.
2  When I got the engine I got it with the original flex plate. The Bolt pattern works with the converter. Everything lines up. My buddy that helped me on this transmission, is a former Ford Transmission mechanic, and he was happy with the way the transmission/converter ,engine went together.
3   A new, from scratch, cross member was made lat year, and should work fine regarding exhaust and pan clearances.
John

The Street Rod National are this week, so it will be a week from Monday before I get back to doing any work on the '57. But I do expect at that time to set the engine and transmission in the chassis for the last time ......... I hope!

Thanks to all that replied, I do appreciate it. When I get the engine and transmission in the chassis, I'll post some photos.

62galxe

Looks like the 4.2 truck uses the short tailhousing. Learned something new about tailhousings. The 4.2 V6 is a smallblock pattern.