News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 being installed now

Started by RICH MUISE, 2012-12-03 22:34

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Hey guys...Rich K. in particular...I may have given some wrong pictorial info back a few weeks ago when I posted a pic if the Mark viii computer (correctly) and the pic of the engine control module. What I showed in the pic as the engine control module may or may not be the correct module. Cleaning my garage tonight I found several modules I had pulled, and now I'm not so sure which is which. I'll try to figure it out tommorrow by looking at the complete Mark viii in my driveway.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

It may be Monday before I can get some info to sort this out. Our terminology vs. Ford's terminology makes it very difficult to locate these components in the service manual. I am going to call the detail zone and try to get a PN series number for the control module..hopefully it's like the computer that has one permanent main number with prefixes that determine different variations. I should be at least able to get some info from them as to how many pins the connector has. If that doesn't work I'll bring both modules in question to the Ford dealer service guy here who in the past has been real helpful (he likes the old cars).
The reason for my confusion on this btw, is that on our old thread from a year or two, we were discusing posible mounting locations for the computer and engine control module. Claiborn had made a statement that the module should be located in the engine bay because, quote:"IT HAD COOLING FINS ON IT FOR A REASON" The module I showed in the pic with the computer is the only one with cooling fins on the car. It was not located exactly where the detail zone said though. It was on the left front wheel well, but underneath, behind the headlight I am now thinking(ABS brake system components) The other module I have was located where the detail zone said, but does not have cooling fins and is much smaller.
I'll get it sorted out..

Ford Blue blood

Rich the module behind the passenger side is the air ride and I'm nearly 100% sure the one on the drivers side is for the ABS.  Gave my wiring book away with the 98 LSC when it went to a new home.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

LOL...well I was right ....I was wrong! The pic I posted is not the engine control module. I brought the one I posted a pic of, and the one I later thought was actually the correct one, to the local Ford dealer and they looked up the part numbers. The one that I posted a pic of I don't think is needed, but the service guy described it as a multi purpose relay for the computer. I'll take a pic of what actually is the engine control module after dinner and post it here.
Rich...while I was in Colorado, I had mentioned I saw one in the salvage yard that looked like it was removed with a crowbar...as you'll see in the pic, one of the mounting flanges actually is bent up kinda wierd...so the one I saw may be ok..but it has been exposed to weather.

RICH MUISE

This IS the engine control modul not the one in the pic I had posted previously with the computer. That description comes up as such when the Ford dealer poked the pn into the computer. Also, as I had mentioned previously it is located under a plastic cover on the top of the driver's side strut tower.
ANOTHER CORRECTION...a year down the road...I've been eroneously calling this the "engine control module" in all of the above threads. It is an "Ignition control module". I also found out today, 1996's, and I assume newer, do not have them..it's function is incorporated into the computer.

RICH MUISE

It's been quiet here guys!!....
Al...did you figure out if you can use the mustang firewall section?
Rich....any decisions yet?
I spent some time with my hot rod shop buddy yesterday going over what I've got done so far, where I've got the engine set and how I'm working up the tranny mount rework. He thinks I've got it nailed, so if it rains here all week like it's suppose to, I actually may have a tranny mount soon. Got my welder repaired, and made a long overdue purchase of a 14" abrasive cut off saw, got my sandblaster repaired as well. LOL...I'm running out of excuses (I'll still have the house excuse though..that''ll be good for a long time).

ROKuberski

Rich,

The more I think about this project, the more I think that I may not dive into it.  If the offer of the engine had not been made, I would never have considered this radical a change to my car.  I've wanted a '57 Fairlane for a long time and only got my car two years ago.  It was in okay shape when I got it, but in the time I've had it I have improved it quite a bit.  It's really my main ride right now.  I drive it more than I drive my Corvette, but I do drive them both. 

The EFI engine is a technology that I've not messed with, but I am sure that I could overcome my ignorance on that given enough time.  If I do install the new engine, then I would also have to add power disk brakes and power steering too.  So it would turn into a major make over and all this work would have to be done on a freshly painted car.  That being said, I am holding off on a final decision for a while.  There is no real deadline, but if I were to do it, it would likely be this winter.

Rich

RICH MUISE

I can sure understand that. Having a good up and running car is hard enough to come by, I mean it's not like your drivetrain is on it's last leg and your trying to decide what to replace it with. Once I get mine done, I'd be more apt to look for another project car than to tear it back down.

57dohc

Rich;
Its good to see someone is working on their car!  I haven't done anything since you were here except trying to think through some of the problems that will come with further progress.  If it isn't time, then its money.  I need to sell a mustang  fund any further progress.  Getting hit with $15,000 plus in out of pocket medical expenses for my wife really makes this a lower priority.  I'm not sure much will get done until later this year.
Rich K., I understand your reluctance to tear into your completed car for this engine swap.  I do think you ought to pick up that engine in case you change your mind or get another project.  It is a great opportunity.  Thanks!  Al

RICH MUISE

Medical expenses are just outrageous..that's a bunch of bucks. The main thing is, I hope she's still doing well. The '57 will still be there when you can get to it. There are alot of projects you can work on though that are more labor than money....body prep work, ect.
That reminds me, I have a spare Custom 300 fender I was going to look at to see if it had the same odd hole pattern you were showing me on yours.
I may be back up your way in June(?)..got to check to see when the goodguys show in Fort Collins is.

57dohc

Rich;
You are right when you say there are a lot of things to work on that don't cost much.  It also is fishing season and those of you understand this obsession can relate. 
I do hope to get the engine and transmission in final place this summer so I can move everything to the heated garage for this winter.
Please check in if you do come to Colorado in June and happen to come through the Springs.  I have not been to that show but it sounds interesting.  Thanks! Al

RICH MUISE

The Good-guys show is in just a little over two weeks. June 7-9.
This is the same show that use to be at Pikes Peak International Raceway up until 4 or 5 years ago. I sure wish it was in Pueblo instead of Fort Collins. That difference make my round trip from about 800 to over a thousand, and makes for one long ride home after driving up there from the Springs and walking around for 5 or 6 hours.
Great show...should be about 2000 cars..., small swap meet, lots of new part vendors
www.good-guys.com

RICH MUISE

Quote from: 57dohc on 2013-05-11 10:50
Rich;
I sure hope I won't have to go through all this!  I was aware of the pan offset but was hoping clearance would be adequate with the transmission I am using.  It made me realize that I should get a steering system mocked up before the final fitment of the engine/transmission mounts.  By the way, I do have an extra oil pan if you make too many cuts!
Good thinking on the motor mounts:  I had thought about the same thing but seem to remember the back edge of the frame  mounting plates does not allow much of an edge to work with.   I was even thinking of a plate where detents could be fabricated to slip in the orginal mounting holes and prevent forward movement when tighten down.  Al
Al...reading back thru our old posts, I realized I was going to reply to this and never did. The reason for the oil pan mod was primarily the clearance issue with the R & P, and not the tranny. I don't remember if you ever mentioned what you planned for the steering, so whether or not you can benifit from the backwards move as much as I did will depend on that.

57dohc

Rich;
I had planned on using some form of rack and pinion but I wasn't expecting any clearance issues.  Might consider the borgenson (sp?) box as a cheaper alternative.  With my progress to date, you will have figured out all the issues by the time I get there!
I probably won't get to go to the Good Guys meet in Loveland as it is Sue's "treatment week" and I think she will need me to stick around.  Marty is going on Friday so it would be possible to hook up with him to share the gas up there if you are planning on attending.
Thanks! Al

RICH MUISE

Al...I decided to pass on the Goodguys show in favor of the NSRA show in Pueblo later this month.
With all the rain we've either expected or got putting a hold on my house resideing project, I was actually able to get a few hours in on the '57. This is what I came up to modify the oem tranny crossmember. I was fighting the wind trying to mig weld outside, so it ain't too pretty. Today I'm going to try to add gussets as shown on the chalk marked stick, and some welding touch-up. My car is not going to be that low, so I'm hoping having the gusset 1 1/4 below the crossmember won't be a problem.
You guys know it's my first rodeo for an engine swap...so if you see any problems ...comments would be appreciated.
Pic #1..that scribe line 3/8 in from where I'm cutting is in line with the rear lower crossmember mounting holes. The tranny oil pan is sitting 1/4" in front of that plane. This was determined by stretching strings from bolts in those holes on the car, then doing the same on the crossmember.
Pic #2..Tip...that piece of cement-fiber siding I'm doing my house with makes a great welding shield/protective barrier. The welding slag/splatter won't burn into it.