News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Brown Interior Custom?

Started by troublemaker427, 2017-11-26 19:16

Previous topic - Next topic

troublemaker427

I just purchased a '57 70A Custom 223 three speed. It was originally dresden blue but has been repainted an awful brown. I will return it to dresden blue one day. My question is it appears to have originaly had brown interior. The dash appears to still have it's original brown paint. The inside of the glove compartment appears to still have it's original brown paint. I've read on here that only police & taxis possibly got brown interior in Customs. My seats & door panels are recoverwd brown now. I know they are not original but I'm convinced the dash is original. I'm thinking possibly ex police car? What do you think?

Jody Aberts

Jody Aberts
Troublemaker 2
'66 427 Fairlane
9:22@145
'57 Custom Tudor 70A
'61 Fairlane 390-401
'64 Galaxie 500XL P-code
'66 F100 390

RICH MUISE

Not sure I've ever seen a 6 cyl. police car, but not all police cars are patrol cars either, so I guess it's possible. Look for any other signs, such as repaired holes in the rear panel where a whip antennae would have mounted, or the left inner fender above the control armwhere a siren could have been. If your headliner is missing, look for repaired holes in the roof where the police (bubble gum machine)light would have been.
I just picked up a set of 1957 Ford color chips (Dupont), and it shows a brown metallic as one of the 4 interior colors offered. The bullitin does not say what the colors were offered in, so it doesn't verify what you were told about brown only being available for police cars.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Wirenut

I had a 63A that was original paint, I think it was called doeskin brown. It had brown and tan interior with brown dash and brown door trim. It was not a dark brown but was a medium brown. it's possible it's the same color.

Wirenut

I made a mistake on my 63A color. It was not Doeskin that's actually tan. Mine was brown. The only one I have seen that color was in the James Bond movie where Pierce Brosnin was in Cuba driving a brown and white convertible. The brown was close to a tobacco brown.

troublemaker427

A six cylinder was offered in the police package along with the three speed.  As I said my car is a 70A, Custom.  I believe the only interior offered in "civilian" Customs was grey.  I'm 99.9% sure my car had the brown interior from the factory.  Anyone else ever see a '57 Custom with factory brown interior?  I'd like to see what the seats looked like.

Here is the thread that mentions brown interior by Lou.
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=1375.msg6868#msg6868
Jody Aberts
Troublemaker 2
'66 427 Fairlane
'57 Custom Tudor 70A
'61 Fairlane 390-401
'64 Galaxie 500XL P-code
'66 F100 390

JimNolan

Jody, What does your door tag say. The original interior and exterior color combinations are listed on it. Unless it's like the cars I have. I have that information along with the rear axle changed to fit how I restore it. I keep the original door tags with the titles.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

troublemaker427

I haven't decoded it yet.  I will take a look at it when I get back out in the shop tonight. 
Jody Aberts
Troublemaker 2
'66 427 Fairlane
'57 Custom Tudor 70A
'61 Fairlane 390-401
'64 Galaxie 500XL P-code
'66 F100 390

JimNolan

Jody, if James downloaded the information that was originally on 57 Ford.com you'll see the interior fabrics and colors as well as exterior colors that match your Vin plate.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

troublemaker427

Well, my hope of a rare interior is gone. My data plate shows an A, grey interior. Someone went to great effort to switch this thing to dark brown. Some day I will switch it all back.... Thanks everyone.
Jody Aberts
Troublemaker 2
'66 427 Fairlane
'57 Custom Tudor 70A
'61 Fairlane 390-401
'64 Galaxie 500XL P-code
'66 F100 390

Lou

Don't give up on the interior not being original.  I have information on 8500 57 Ford cars and seen a lot of mistakes. The cars were built from the paper work that traveled with them down the assembly line, the person typing the data plates had about 3 mins to type the plate and attache it to the paper work. It is very possible they looked at the body type and as you said civilian customs  were gray so they typed gray.(A)
I would like to see all the information on your data plate.

Ecode70D

Quote from: Lou on 2017-11-28 22:06
Don't give up on the interior not being original.  I have information on 8500 57 Ford cars and seen a lot of mistakes. The cars were built from the paper work that traveled with them down the assembly line, the person typing the data plates had about 3 mins to type the plate and attache it to the paper work. It is very possible they looked at the body type and as you said civilian customs  were gray so they typed gray.(A)
I would like to see all the information on your data plate.

Lou
    There is a lot of truth to what you just stated.  It also occurred a lot when hand stamping the frames and other parts in the old days.   Jay