News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

abe_lugo

I think if you have complete front desoto or Chrysler fenders you basically can cut out all the front and make it mount like a stock unit.

I can ask Ludvic if the spear still fit on his.

Here are pics of mine.  You can see the bezels are frenched in and it causes a bump out.  I also peaked my fenders further also.  I also tried aligning the peak and the bezel peak with the top fender bumps

IMG_0204.jpegIMG_0204.jpegIMG_0203.jpegIMG_0206.jpeg   
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

CobraJoe

The lower fender was not cut on mine, it was all part of the headlight door/fender extension:

I was able to cut off the tab that was welded to the lip, pry the lip back and then spot weld the new headlight door/fender extension back in place.
Whoever did the original conversion, didn't do that great of a job, but I think you could improve on their design/work.

As said before, the '58 light assembly I gave you, already has the "eyebrows" as part of the assembly.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

djfordmanjack

Abe, your conversion may be a bit rough around the edges, but I generally like the looks with those Desoto units.
It is funny how your work aged in very well with the rest of the patina looks on the car. It might as well have been done 'back in the day'.... :002:

Joe I see what you mean, and I have to say, I still very much like the looks of your old quad setup ! Maybe it was not done to your expectations (certainly not), but the general idea and looks was sweet.
I would prefer to cut the lower lip of the 58 bezel, just a tad, so that the 57 fender bead can go all the way straight from left to right, without having the shallow dip under the lamp bezels.

Our light units are still safely stored away in a secret place in Mass, so no reason to get crazy over these right now.... :002:  :003:

Thanx for all the great pics, all downloaded for future reference !

CobraJoe

I visited them last week,  :002:
Might get to see them again this week as Jay has a nice SS trim ring for the spare on my '39

As far as the "Look" goes, well, let's just say it was not for me....

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

djfordmanjack

Joe, your car HAD, and HAS the looks anyways, with the 58 or original 57 headlights !!!
It is good that you know where the quad assemblies are, so you can pick them up, if you want to change them back....hahaha  :002:

Just kidding. I love the 57 units a lot, but since many people are trying to figure out a custom application, I always thought the 4x conversion on your car was a real neat and one of the best versions imho.

Tom S

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2023-08-13 16:22....As far as the "Look" goes, well, let's just say it was not for me....
Likewise.  What are those rear bumpers?
57 - CobraJoe.jpg

CobraJoe

Tom, those bumpers and roll pan are the main reason I bought that car. I had seen a few in old magazine articles that had the two piece bumpers and I had always thought it was cool.
     Even though I HATED the quad headlights and tube grill, I knew that changing the front end back to original (single lights, stock grill & turn signals, Fairlane script on the header panel, gunsight hood ornament, argent valance, etc.) would be easier than converting the rear "step-N-tow" style to the two piece bumper.
     As to your original question, those are , to the best of my knowledge, 1955 Pontiac front bumpers.

Some were even used as front bumpers:

RICH MUISE

Those are Cool-looking cars, except the last one just doesn't look right, IMHO.

Had a Twilight Zone occurrence yesterday. My wife and Sherri got home from church yesterday and suggested we went to Russell's truck stop for lunch. Russell's is just over the line in New Mexico on I40, about an hour's drive. About 1/2 way there, we passed a silver Chrysler minivan parked in the break-down lane. A woman with a bright orange tank top was standing thru the open  moon roof of her car doing something with the windshield. I pointed to her and wondered out loud what she was doing. OK, nothing too weird, but 5 or 6 miles down the road, there was a silver Chrysler minivan with a woman in a bright orange tank top standing thru the moon roof of her car doing something with the windshield!!!!!!!!!!!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rmk57

A bit of Groundhog Day mixed into Twilight Zone.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

CobraJoe

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2023-08-14 00:43Joe, your car HAD, and HAS the looks anyways, with the 58 or original 57 headlights !!!
It is good that you know where the quad assemblies are, so you can pick them up, if you want to change them back....hahaha  :002:

Just kidding. I love the 57 units a lot, but since many people are trying to figure out a custom application, I always thought the 4x conversion on your car was a real neat and one of the best versions imho.

Thanks Guenther, but to me, this pic says it all:

IMO, it made the car look short and wide compared to Jay's '57, especially with the tube grill. If you didn't know better, you'd swear they were different cars.
 I guess that's why they say fat people shouldn't wear horizontal stripes.  :004:

mustang6984

It does look wider...weird.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

Quote from: mustang6984 on 2023-08-14 13:40It does look wider...weird.

Just a little..... lol

mustang6984

I always wondered why the guy that did the mod...didn't just use '58 fenders instead of modifying.Seems like it would have been so much easier.
And the '58's...don't look wider for some reason...:dontknow:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Tom S

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2023-08-14 07:44... As to your original question, those are , to the best of my knowledge, 1955 Pontiac front bumpers.
Thanks, Joe.

CobraJoe

You're very welcome Tom (...who lives in God's country!)