News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

LOL...man, you guys all must be suffering from claustrophobia. If you had this thing, you could hang you coffee cup holder on either door. No, wait, there is no other door.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Don't commute so I don't need a coffee cup holder....there is no way I would consider that thing for safety reasons along....(I do understand the laws of gross tonage!).  Some cars are already "cozy" and that thing looks to be like a pair whitey tighties!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

ok, ok, uncle, I give lol
On another note. I just added Bob Drake to our supplier list. I had never been able to find any '57 stuff there previously, so even though they're a big Ford parts supplier, I wasn't able to include them for our needs. On another thread, the other Bill, mentioned them for gas tanks for wagons, and they do in fact carry them . They also carry a Fuel Injection "ready" tank for the passenger cars. I also found fender skirts and a few other items. We now have 43 suppliers on that links list.
If you check out their site, click on the "BOB'S JUNK" button...lot's of interesting old ford items Bob has collected over the years, and historical info there.

hiball3985

Rich, you will never be a good car salesman but we love you anyways  :003:. I was just thinking how they expect that thing to meet US crash and safety standards. I will need huge bumpers, air bags etc unless it gets away as being considered a 3 wheel bike it will be hideous.

Speaking of hideous. I haven't gone to a NEW car show since the mid 60's but see plenty of the concept type cars in news articles, you know the ones, designed by people who have absolutely no concept  :005: :burnout:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

modifieddriver

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2014-01-11 09:10
Rich, you will never be a good car salesman but we love you anyways  :003:. I was just thinking how they expect that thing to meet US crash and safety standards. I will need huge bumpers, air bags etc unless it gets away as being considered a 3 wheel bike it will be hideous.

Speaking of hideous. I haven't gone to a NEW car show since the mid 60's but see plenty of the concept type cars in news articles, you know the ones, designed by people who have absolutely no concept  :005: :burnout:

When I lived in upstate New York my family would make a long day trip to NYC for the International Car Show almost every year.  Drive to the edge of the city and then catch the subway downtown to 52nd Street(?) Columbus Circle.  My Dad and I would go to look at cars while my Mother and older sister went shopping in the CITY!!

I can remember being there for the introduction of the 1957 Ford Ranchero.  I was 9-10 years old.  I also remember the intro of the AC/Ford Cobra that had a 260c.i. V-8.  Pretty sure it had a transverse mounted leaf front spring in the front.

Then there was the Chrysler Turbine car intro.  I also remember the first Barracuda intro.  I think we stopped going shortly after that.  Good memories.

That show lost its luster and the primary BIG show then moved to Detroit (but for how long???).
If ya' really want it, all ya' have to do is "STEP- UP"

BWhitmore

In the 1960's while I was in high school, I worked at a small gas station in Downey, Ca.  One of our customers was a private detective who had an office down the street.  He drove in one day in a Chrysler Turbine car and when I first saw it I thought it was a 63-64 Tbird.  He had the car for about 3 months and he actually gave me a ride in the car (about 2 miles).  Believe it or not my best memory of the car was the stereo radio! 

hiball3985

I like the idea of turbines, you can burn almost anything for fuel but I think they get bad mileage if I recall. Turbine almost won Indy one year..

Bill, speaking of stereo's, have you had any luck with the radio?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

BWhitmore

Jim - I am waiting for my neighbor to return from his vacation so I can borrow his extra speaker from his 59 Tbird. 

Limey57

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-01-09 23:19
Now this is an impressive little vehicle. We all laugh at the smart car, but it'll be fun to watch this little thing in a few years....hope it takes off. Cute little bugger. Only downside for me..3 wheeler
http://news.yahoo.com/three-wheel-6-800-car-gears-2015-us-193306020.html
6800 bucks, 84 mpg (gallon...not electric!), 0-100 in under 10 seconds.
If I had the money, I'd start now producing little trailers for these things...lol... to tow, not to tow on.

Do you strap one to each foot and skate along with them?
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Limey/Gary I'll bet the three wheels brings back memories of a British car....the ones that would tip over if you went around a corner too fast....can't remember the name.

hiball3985

Quote from: BWhitmore on 2014-01-11 14:42
Jim - I am waiting for my neighbor to return from his vacation so I can borrow his extra speaker from his 59 Tbird.
I forgot to say when you mentioned Downey isn't that where Harvey's Broiler was ?
Went there many times in the late 60's on Friday and Saturday nights, some great cars use to be there..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

BWhitmore

Yes Downey was the location of Harvey's Broiler on Firestone Blvd.  Harvey's Broiler was one of the busiest cruise spots in the 60's-70's.  I can remember on the week-end waiting over an hour just to cruise through the place.  It is now the site of a Bob's Big Boy Drive-In.  The second owner (it was then called Johnny's Broiler) started to tear it down without a permit from the city- the city stopped him and then pushed a new drive-up (Bob's Big Boy).  Downey is also the home of one of the original MacDonald's with the Golden Arches.  Still there after being closed for over a year, the city of Downey was instrumental in getting it re-opened in the original configuration.  Walk up only, no drive-thru.  In my high school years, I was known, while slightly drunk, of climbing one of the Golden Arches. 

hiball3985

Thanks Bill, I had no idea what happened to the place. I do remember the huge amount of cars and the long waits to get in. I have seen that MacDonalds at one time several years ago. I'm trying to picture you climbing the arch, the things we did in our younger years :003:
There was some nice cruising at the Bob's in Toluca Lake back in those days also, that was more local for me.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Limey57

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-01-11 17:38
Limey/Gary I'll bet the three wheels brings back memories of a British car....the ones that would tip over if you went around a corner too fast....can't remember the name.

That would be the Relaint Robin.  If you ever see the BBC Top Gear series, Jeremy Clarkson drove one and rolled it over at every opportunity.

There have been several variations of these made by the Reliant company (who actually built some decent 4-wheeled sports cars......) thankfully production stopped in the 1990's.  There have been other three wheeled cars built over here (Morgan being the most famous), their popularity in the 50's & 60's was because you could drive one on a motorbike licence at the age of 16 rather than having to obtain a car licence at the age of 17, PROVIDING reverse gear was disabled, as they were then classed as a trike.

I am proud to say I have NEVER driven one!!!!!!!!!!!
Gary

1957 Ranchero