News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Those are the screws I'll be using...thanks for the heads-up. Are you guys laying a bead of caulking at the overlaps?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

my house, garage,and back garage roofs are all steel.when i put the screws in the roof, the drill i used had a adjustable torque head.set it so the rubber washer is even with the outside of the washer 

RICH MUISE

I got all the panels picked up yesterday. Went back and got some trim pieces,foam insulators inside and outside (for the ridge). also picked up some self sealing 2 sided tape-kinda-stuff for the edge overlaps.
Has anybody installed ridged dense foam 4 x 8 sheeting over the perlins before screwing the roofing down? Sure be alot easier than trying to fit it between the roof joists....at least if the darn wind isn't blowing 30 mph.
Decided to reroof with the '57 still inside. Considering the time of year, damage from being outside is just as likely....at least if we have another hail storm, it'll have at least a 1/2 of a roof over it.
Where did I put my Aleve?

Frankenstein57

Rich, I didn't use any sealant , but it sounds like a good idea.

RICH MUISE

Morning guys. Got a start on the reroofing of my crappy shed/workspace yesterday. I'm just stripping the old roof a portion at a time so I can keep everything inside covered as much as posible. My temporary structure has settled a bit since I built an quick add-on about 3 years ago, so I'm having to relevel the perlins a bit as I go along to keep the sheetmetal from kinking. I am also using the dense ridgid foam panels over the perlins that I had asked about. This stuff is dense enough that there are no problems with getting the sheetmetal down tight to the roof. In fact it probably helps a little with any unevenness. I only got one sheetmetal in place yesterday. Didn't want to make the same mistake I made the first time with not getting th first one on good enough and starting at the wrong end. That foam sheeting is a pita with working alone in the wind! I think it'll help alot with the heat and air though..better than nothing! I'm hoping to get this done while the weather is still cool....don't want to be the cat on a hot tin roof!
On a different subject, I went back and checked to see when the last time Tom from Alaska had posted. It was Dec 26. Sure hope everything is ok with him and maybe he just needs a new computer! I had also checked on Lou who hadn't posted for a while, but he's been logging on, just not posting, so I guess everything is ok there.
And speaking of Toms..Tom Drummond this time...I still have not been able to bring up the STFabrications website. Tom, or anybody know what's up with that?
Doug, Lorne...you guys make it back home ok?

57 Ford Kustom

Rich,
   I was worried about Tom S also, I pm'd him a couple of months ago just to ask him if everything was fine with him. No reply< I also hope that he is only having computer problems, and nothing severe. He has been a lot of help to me, and like everyone on this site I wish for nothing but the best! Do we have any other members near him?
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

57 Ford Kustom

Rich,
   I almost forgot, stay safe on that roof!
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

RICH MUISE

It's not all that sturdy..have to put 2x6"s up there to walk on..thankfully it's not too high up, but for these old bones it's plenty high enough. LOL..good thing I'm a short guy...just have to remember to warn the tall guys coming in to watch the overhead.

gasman826

Along the lines of the London Bridge thing........

gasman826

A lot of pieces but no where near as many as the London Bridge or a '57!!!!!!!!

RICH MUISE

That's a heck of a puzzle. Planning on that move/disassemble/reassemble must have been a chore. Without going back and looking for pic of your finished barn, I'm guessing from the size and shape, it's yours.?

sprink88

Wow Gasman. Is that the barn on your old house? I thought you were moving???

Dang, am I getting old?
~Chris

gasman826

I started the tear down in February of '96 and finished the build in 2002 (if anything is really finished).  I'm in the process of moving out of this 7000 square feet building to a 'towny', 1200 square foot garage that will be started next month.

Finished version...

Frankenstein57

So if I go to MIS this summer I can't stop by to see it?

RICH MUISE

Checking on other threads, I guess we got a variety of weather going on the past week. The Washigton guys are mowing lawns, the Northeast guys are waiting for snow and ice to go away,Bill's mowing his onions in Alabama, here in Texas it doesn't know what time of the year it is. Too dry for even the weeds to be growing, even when it's cloudy, it doesn't rain, or snow. That's a good thing for me right now being into reroofing my garage. Yesterday it was too windy to get anything done up there. I'll hopefully get something done today. Last week we had a few days of dust storms..sun was out and shinning, but couldn't see it.
I got an email from the guy that's making my custom built ss power steering reservoir. It passed a 2 day leak test and is shipping out today. Communication and working with this guy was a wonderful experience. Hopefully I can say the same when it arrives..from pics of provious ones he's made, I'm gonna be a happy camper. I'll post some pics and contact info (if it's good as I suspect) when I get it.