News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Swank

I'm with Lynn, i'll stick to hurricanes.  Plenty of warning to board the windows and tie down the flyaways.  Dont care to know what quakes or fires are like.  Glad youre ok up there in Anchorage.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
"...paint it black, put it back!"
_________
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (goner)
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1988 Chevy Suburban (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

Tom S

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2018-12-01 08:56... I 've never experienced an earthquake, don't care to either, I think I will stay with the hurricanes

It's funny that people sometimes want to stick with what they know even if it's something bad.  I won't trade you for those hurricanes with all the rain and flooding. We do sometimes get hurricane force 100 plus mph winds when a big Chinook sweeps down the mountains. The strongest mostly hits the 'Hillside' area where I live. What they call the 'Hillside' is the lower slopes of of the mountains on the east side of Anchorage.
And for sure I wouldn't trade our threats from volcanoes & earthquakes for tornadoes either. Don't know how people can deal with that.  I've felt earthquakes all of my like.  They were no big deal to me until that 9.2 in 1964. It started so mild then hammered us hard. Real Hard! Now most of them get my attention.

Late year weather's been crazy this year.  Unusually warm.
Yesterday it got up to around 28 deg. F & then today we got one of those warm Chinook winds with rain. Got up to ~ 46 degrees. Calling for colder tonight & tomorrow & heavy snow.
BTW, last night I said Alaska get hundreds of earthquakes every year. I knew that was not correct.  We get a lot more but didn't think you guys would believe the real number.  Besides, I was too tired to look it up. :) 
From an article in today's paper ... has more pix & stuff.
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2018/12/01/experts-alaska-quake-damage-could-have-been-much-worse/

"The state averages 40,000 earthquakes a year, with more large quakes than the 49 other states combined. Southern Alaska has a high risk of earthquakes because the Earth's plates slide past each other under the region, but it is rare for major quakes to strike so close heavily populated areas."
Also...
"By mid-morning, there had been about 550 aftershocks, including 11 with magnitudes of 4.5 or greater, Caruso said."

Just had another fairly strong but short aftershock a few minutes ago.
Rich, I'm about 10-11 miles south of downtown. About zip.zero miles when it comes to earthquakes.  :002:

Ford Blue blood

Rich had the same thing happen with my 2dr street rod.  Rear seat entry would be an interesting endeavor for the bride.  Had a friend with a 4dr sedan and asked him if he would be willing to do it.  He said no, but you can drive my car.  Talk about being clinched up, I knew exactly what he had in that car......but it all went off with not a hitch and the young lady was happy.

John the attitudes around Millington were the exact reason my "retirement home" only lasted two years.  To be fair, it actually Covington, old south, old money, and old attitudes.  Phone never rang other then Habitat business.  Not like we sat in the front yard and drank beers and threw the cans in the street.  My wife was in the school system working with special ed kids, I was on the Habitat for Humanity board and the VFW post commander.  Just that ol yankee accent resulted in "your not from around here" statement and the conversation that never really started ended. 

Sorry for the rant, just hard to believe those attitudes still existed in 1994!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

CobraJoe

" Just that ol yankee accent resulted in "your not from around here" statement and the conversation that never really started ended. 

Sorry for the rant, just hard to believe those attitudes still existed in 1994!"

1994? they still exist today.  :deadhorse:
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

dgasman

I will stick with the ground wiggling . Lived in so cal my whole life . Lived through the 72 earth quake and all the quakes in between till the 94 Northridge earthquake (still live in Northridge ), lncluding the 89 San Francisco earthquake . The reason we live in Cali is the weather ( don't tell anyone ) the politics are bad the taxes are to high but the cars are dry . Just my .02 cents
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

hiball3985

I'll agree with that, we do pay higher prices/taxes etc but I like being able to drive 365 days a year as long as I leave early enough to beat the traffic  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Tom S

More earthquake stuff from Anchorage.

Like most people here I guess I was very lucky last Friday.  I've seen lots of pix now of homes with so much stuff inside destroyed or spread all over the floor, cabinets knocked over, whole kitchens full of dishes smashed to bits on the floor, windows broken, etc...
All the schools got hit hard. Ceiling tiles fell, water pipes broke and really flooded everything. Same goes for many businesses.  All schools closed for this week.  One school about 80 road miles north & west will not open back up this year. Late this afternoon saw the same issue for one in Anchorage.
A lot more serious road damage than I'd first heard of.  That includes the major, & only, highway north that carries the many commuters from the 'Mat-Su Valley' to Anchorage.  A very busy road.
Another report this afternoon was about 10 homes in an area here in town that sank down a bit when the ground under them liquefied from the shaking.  One guy had to build a ramp to get his car out of the garage. Another had the water supply cut from the sinking.
Out in Eagle River, kind of a suburb 10-15 miles north of town, a couple homes were destroyed.
One fell off it's foundation.  Not sure about the mansion's damage but it don't look good.  Can't imagine needing a house that big.
Eagle River has come a long way from not appearing to be much more than wide spot in the road with a gas station & store when I was a teenager.

Oh, well. Could have been worse. It's not even close to as bad as the March 27th 1964 quake.
Attached pix:
Two of the house that fell off it's foundation
Eagle River mansion(wth?) damaged
Interesting pic from part of today's newspaper's front page. Bumpy road?

CobraJoe

Amazing pics; glad to see you're ok Tom.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

Tom S

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2018-12-05 05:11Amazing pics ...

Check out these pix a guy on the ADV site posted.  Good ones! (There's a second page too but not much there yet.)
I'd like to see the the panic on the faces of some of the idiots down between the broken earth in one of the pix if they were in there when one of the hard aftershocks hit.  Over 2100 aftershocks since last Friday morning.  Had a strong one just last night.
https://advrider.com/f/threads/earthquake-in-anchorage.1353020/#post-36491530

RICH MUISE

Just a few notes......the Hamb thread on '57 Fords is now 14 pages of pics, and almost 3 years running. Lots of great pics.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/how-about-a-1957-1958-ford-thread.1004383/

Gas is getting down into the low 1.80's here....lovin' it! Mid grades is just about 2.10. Filled the '57 up yesterday and took it out for a few hours. Lots of signs of a good econony away from town into the beef/ranch/farm areas. Lots of activity on the smaller highways serving the ranching areas, with the cotton trucks, cattle and feed trucks, milk trucks, etc.. Seems like they were everywhere coming on and off the farm roads. I hit I40 on the way back for about 40 miles, and the regular interstate big rig traffic was heavy also. Kind of a feel good trip.
Back to kitchen cabinet refurbishing, lol.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

are you kidding me Rich ? our gas is down to 1.20........ :003:  ......

well,

Euros that is, per litre. so that is roughly $1.40 a litre which adds up to $5.40 a gln.....which is 3 times as much as what you stated.

wow, and I though't it hadn't been as low as this in a year or so.
I was so happy yesterday when I topped off my wagon with 50 Euros. ( $60). bad thing, it was my 1964 Euro Ford and she only has 40Litres tank capacity ( roughly 11 glns) :003:....oh man....

RICH MUISE

I was very happy to see a post in the wanted section this morning by Acylic Man. Larry is from Houston, and was in the early stages of his '57 project when the floods hit Houston 3 or 4 years ago. Then he disappeared. I do believe he did one quick post right after the first flooding that said he lost both his business and home.  I've been wondering about him since, reminded often because he made me a really great Blue Oval Ford sign that, thanks to my new house, I finally have a descent place to display, so I see at it often. We got to shake hands at the Pate swap meet in '14(?).
So, Larry.............a big welcome back, I'm sure we're all curious to hear about what you went through!
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

A few more of my morning coffee friends cars.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Jeff Norwell

Jim.. talk to us about that killer deuce roadster.... I see the pie-crust and love what I see of the 3into 1 lake pipe set up.... Nice.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

hiball3985

Quote from: Jeff Norwell on 2018-12-21 16:23
Jim.. talk to us about that killer deuce roadster.... I see the pie-crust and love what I see of the 3into 1 lake pipe set up.... Nice.
Jeff, It's a nice 32 steel body, flat head with 3-2's all home built and I believe he made the exhaust himself. I can get a better picture of that if you would like the next time he brings it. It's owned by the same guy with the white El Camino I posted earlier, he also has a "Christine" car so I never know which one he'll show up with.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang