News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

Joe that is beautiful craftsmenship on your axles. this person knows his Tig machine for sure ! they should be clearcoated. :003:

I like how they named their cars in the 1950s and 1960s. the had neat handpainted lettering of the names applaid to the door, lower fender or trunklid.

I usually name them by year and make, as Tom suggests. but some of my cars got their own nickname anyways. I like to refer to my 34 Ford sdn as the 'Red Lady'. well- because she has kind of red ( coach maroon) paint. and she can be redheaded on the German highways as well....
my old 57 Sedan Delivery I called 'Red Hot', obviously again for the cherry red paint, but 'Red Hot' is also a Rock N Roll song recorded in 1957 by the late Billy Lee Riley. I later met him in person and had him sign one of the 57 Ford wheelcovers on the car. I still have that wheelcover. Unfortunately car was sold long time ago.

djfordmanjack

this rear shot shows the lettering 'Red Hot' in kind of a 1950s script style.

CobraJoe

My '93 Bronco was "Pony Express"

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

jviera

Joe, His welding is art, incredible piece of work and engineering. Congrats to both of you.  John V

CobraJoe

Thanks guys. Let's hope this doesn't happen anymore.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

fdlrc

I look at that undercarriage rust and think how blessed we are out west!
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

Tom S

Quote from: fdlrc on 2019-01-16 19:41
You must be lucky. Way further west of you here in Anchorage cars rust away pretty fast. Near impossible to find an old car that's lived here for years hasn't been killed by the rust.

CobraJoe

Quote from: fdlrc on 2019-01-16 19:41

Believe it or not; that truck had just over 500K miles on it when I sold it. It actually looks worse than what it is. The shocks and radius arms are cheaply painted with no primer or prep. A lot of it actually flakes off when you take them out of the box. The biggest problem with rusting started about  8+ years ago, the State switched over from pure salt to utilizing Liquid Magnesium Chloride in addition to the salt for our roads. That's why I built a new truck.

RICH MUISE

That brings up something I've been wondering about. The " Liquid Magnesium Chloride" you mentioned............I wonder if that's what they put on the roads here prior to an expected storm. I can see streaks on the roadways where they've applied it on expected problem areas, like bridges, curves, hills, etc. and I wonder if it's harmful to vehicles once it's applied and dried.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

They use it in WI.  Was all over the place when we up there for Christmas.  Given my truck is black I can tell you the white dusting on the sides and tail gate didn't come from the stuff that falls out of the sky.  It does blow up a little and it does stick to the "normal" places where road grime would hang.  My truck gets a thorough under the car wash as soon as we are out of the "rust belt".
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

rmk57

The municipality I worked at we quit using it for cost reasons, were back to a salt / water brine. Liquid mag has a lower freezing point, sticks to the road better but the cost was around 3-4 times higher. It just doesn't get that cold here in the northwest to justify it's use anymore. Yes, it is more corrosive than regular road salt.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Marc

They spray liquid magnesium chloride on the roads before a storm hits here in CT. It will promote rust on your car. Brake lines are especially vulnerable. I know several people who have suffered brake line failure due to that crap, including my taurus wagon.

lalessi1

They use sand here.... :002:
Lynn

fdlrc

My mag chloride story: Colo. Springs firefighter, October with dry roads, 2-3 inches of snow expected in 12 hours and state just sprayed, truck in site. We are on an accident where car slide off the road. Jeep in other divided highway lane slides in mag chloride and rolls, right in front of us! Doctors have a good oath, something about "first do no harm".

fdlrc

Oh, by the way, we never got any rain or snow.