News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Good for you, Doug, and your friend. I've put almost 26k on mine in about the three years since I got it on the road. Love driving it. The only thing that keeps me from driving it more is I can't afford to wear it out and have to rebuild it, lol. Are you planning on spring training games in Phoenix this year? I still regret having to bail out on our planned cruise around Oklahoma a few years ago when you were half way here.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57imposter

Ya got me beat on mileage. I'll work on catching up. With little or no snow for the last two years, there is really no reason to put the car up. Now snow is a deal breaker. I took mine out and when I braked for the first stop sign like I would in my modern car and ended up in the Grade school parking lot. Fortunately there was no cross traffic. That will make you recall your 60's snow driving skills in a hurry. Anyway, no Spring training this year but we are taking the car to Omaha sometime this spring. We will go back on a northern route and return home on a southern route. If we get far enough south that it makes sense, I will chase you down.

RICH MUISE

doesn't need to be that far south, Colorado would do nicely. I could be a good tour guide there too! Keep me posted.

djfordmanjack

that is an interesting topic and heartwarming thought as well! You are definitely doing the right thing, cars are meant to be driven. IMHO it is better for the cars to get out on the road and being driven, maintained, lubed, checked frequently than sitting on blocks in the heated storage area.
I think we do agree that we don't deliberately take our beloved cars out on salted roads or in a heavy storm or the like. I always park my cars out of the rain under a carport or shelter and out of the sun when at home. Wouldn't want to have them out on the streets and in the rain and sun all the time. when out and on the road it is ok to have them outside for a few days. better to enjoy the experience of a good road trip or vacation with car and family or friends, than not having all of this only because the car sits in its climate controlled unit at home. this is just my own opinion, probably many car collectors might disagree.

Quote from: 57imposter on 2019-01-21 16:36
I've had a very enlightening revelation. I was having coffee with a 77 year old friend who just bought a his dream car, a 34 5 window coupe. We were discussing the fact that he is driving it almost constantly since he got it. We allowed as how at his age that was a good idea as we couldn't come up with a good reason to save it. By the time I got about half way home I realized I am saving mine, for some unknown reason. When I got home, The Ford came out of the storage shed and into the garage and the Magnum went into the storage shed and I have driven the Ford almost every day since. After all the work to build the car I plan on getting as much enjoyment out of it as possible. I still can't figure out why I was ever so concerned about the next guy.

57imposter

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2019-01-22 15:52
doesn't need to be that far south, Colorado would do nicely. I could be a good tour guide there too! Keep me posted.

Well, that shouldn't be too hard to do. We'll be in touch.

RICH MUISE

Great. Hopefully my wife's health issues will be nonexistant by then. Approximately what month are you planning your trip. Let me know ahead so I can find out if anything going on at that time. There are some really neat car shows in Colorado and tons of great cruising/touring mountain areas.

57imposter

we haven't firmed anything up but I suspect May or the first half of June. We want to clear the mid West before the humidity sets in.

RICH MUISE

Had a good day yesterday. I've mentioned before that it has been almost impossible to get my wife into drives with the '57. In the 3 years since it's been finished, prior to yesterday, she had spent a total of about 30 minutes in the car. Out of the blue, last week she told me her and Sherri decided they really should make an effort to spend more time partaking in my hobby. Lol, I think Connie was feeling guilty because I've spent so much time taking care of her in the past month. Anyway, they decided Russel's Truck stop in New Mexico would be a good "first run" for them. It's 80 miles from my house west on I40 just past the Texas/NM border. Good food, a small classic car museum, gift shop. Sherri wasn't feeling good, so my wife and I went. Great 70* windows down weather. On the way out of town there was a car full of guys waving and giving me thumbs up, and my wife enjoyed that. At the restaraunt, we sat by the window and Connie was noticing several times people were taking pics. Twice big rigs honked their horns when passing, I told her I got that alot and they scared the crap out of me every time. When we got back in town, at a stoplight, an older couple with a car load of kids were in back of us one lane over honking and yelling they liked my car, "what is it"?
So, we got home and when I pulled up to the front door. My wife told me she really enjoyed the ride and we'd do it again.  :003: I think she really enjoyed all the attention the car was getting yesterday. 
On another note, I may get to shake hands with another forum member today. Hugh (Mustang6984) and his wife hopefully  will be passing thru Amarillo pretty soon, if weather from Washington permitted his coming this way, and he's gonna give me a head's up call when he's close. Hugh will be the 14th Forum member I've met up with........very very cool.

hiball3985

Great!!! I'm glad to hear the wife is doing better and wanted to go for a ride. My wife always goes with me and I enjoy the company on road trips. she will retire the end of March so hopefully we will get more trips in this year.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

fdlrc

I like stories like that. I hope I wasn't number 13 or did you skip that number? Ha
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

RICH MUISE

Had to think awhile on that one. You were 12th. Eric Lopez from Rio Rancho NM was 13. Not sure I could remember them all again, and definetly won't remember the order.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2019-02-05 14:33
Not sure I could remember them all again, and definetly won't remember the order.

I get that "old timers" thing going too Rich from time to time....seams like the times are getting closer together. 

So glad to hear your wife is on the mend!  Having a partner along to share the adventure is so much more fun!  Been to over 200 car events over my days of playing, (that don't count two years of racing), with my wife along for the ride.  Didn't know that little farm girl from WI I met in 79 would be a car crazy gal at the time.  Turns out I hit the jack pot!  Full support all the way.  Just find it hard to imagine going to a show with out her riding shotgun.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

I really hope to get to that point someday. For sure I won't start her off with a car show in a big parking lot on a summer's day. I'll wait to entice her when I've got a show coming up in a park like setting.
Haven't heard anything from Hugh. He is/was on his way from Washington state to Branson, mo. I suspect he had to do some long and extra driving to get around all the storms in his path.

lalessi1

Well this is a real morning coffee thing... sometimes I peruse eBay for '57 parts while having a cup. This morning's discovery FORD DINNERWARE...wow, from the executive dining room!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-FORD-RARE-PARTS-FACTORY-SILVERWARE-PLATES-LINCOLN-MERCURY-MUSTANG/233127708578?fits=Year%3A1957%7CMake%3AFord&hash=item36477e87a2:g:xz4AAOSwY7lcXz-M:sc:USPSFirstClass!70816!US!-1&vxp=mtr

Lynn

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane