News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

alvin stadel

Gas man, when I see a project like you have, I get excited thinking about all the things that this would work with. Then I look at my calender and realize it is clicking by way to fast to start something like this and slip back into the real world. All I can say is go for it.  Take care, Alvin

lalessi1

I started a project 45 years ago with just an engine. It was a reverse spinning 140HP Corvair engine. It sat in my living room for months. I bought a 72 Karmann Ghia and put the engine in that car.... :003:
Lynn

djfordmanjack

Lynn, can we talk about that in off topic ??  :002:

I am building a very early Transporter ( '52) and still undecided about the motor. I have a sweet 1500, but then your idea sounds so much better !  :003:

lalessi1

Guenter, email me and I will tell you every detail (that I remember)! :004:
Lynn

alvin stadel

Rich, I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but wat the hell is all this Gusht, korrik, shtector stuff in front of the dates and else where. I' m to old to take a foreign language class to try and keep up with this.  Take care, Alvin

RICH MUISE

I have no idea what you are seeing, Alvin. Mine is totally normal/as it has been. Anybody else seeing what Alvin is talking about? When did it start?
I have no idea what some of the buttons in the reply window do, maybe you clicked on one of them and it changed formatting? Just a guess.
I hear ya with the "too old to learn a new language", but I often feel that's exactly what we're suppose to be doing when I read online news stories. So many new terms / wording / "famous people" I've never heard of, etc etc.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

I'm pretty  sure if it's an  old age thing, but lately It seems like I'm having a difficult, or at least lengthy, time figuring solutions to  everyday problems, and it gets overwhelming/depressing at times. last week I was trying to get our old Toro riding lawn mower up and running so we could sell it. We bought it used, and it was my first, so I knew nothing about them. It was really needing some attention/maintenance. Last year, everytime I tried to get the grass cut, I'd have to stop and try to figure out how/what to fix on it. This past spring we bought a new one, (Craftsman 42" T210, made in the USA, I love it), and the old Toro got set aside until I could spend some time on it. The Toro has a 20hp Kohler engine. After charging the old worn out battery, couldn't get it to crank, so started with a new battery (35.), after installing new battery, all I could get was a clicking, so I replaced the universal starter solenoid (15.) That took care of the cranking issue, but wouldn't start. Fuel was fresh. tried starter fluid, It would start on that, but not keep running. Took the carburetor off (I replaced that last year). Everything was super clean (I use fuel with no ethanol in the mowers), and gas was getting to the carburetor. YouTube videos explained problems with the carburetor shut off solenoid. (no fuel pump, siphon feed, so gas has to be shut off after running to stop flow of gas or it'll flood engine crankcase). I bypassed the solenoid (cut the stopper off actually), and got it to run sporatically, and it was backfiring, etc.. Thought about throwing in the towel on this project!
So,decided  next to check was spark. The plug was good, just needed a light cleaning. Then I got into a whole new thing for me........what actually makes the spark in a small gas engine??? Never wondered about that before. This motor, I discovered has a magneto. Have no clue how that works, but the "contacts" were very rusty on both the magnet side and the flywheel contacts. I call them contacts for lack of a better word, but they actually don't make contact.  Got them all cleaned up with sandpaper, and fired it up. Running much better, but still not great. I suspected the carburetor I put on last year was the issue, so ordered a new one (only 18. delivered!). Runs like a champ now. I mowed part of the front lawn to try it out. Worked great until right at the end when It broke a special shoulder bolt that holds down one of the pulleys on the deck.  Part on order with Toro (14.), 1 week, but an easy fix. :001:
So, this morning I was thinking about the fact I'm 73, and was totally amazed that never in my lifetime did I ever wonder about where the spark was generated from in a small engine (lawn mower, trimmer, etc). How does a magneto work? Does it generate the spark, or simply set the timing for the spark, or both? LOL, I don't know why I was surprised to discover the magneto actually had a horseshoe shaped magnet..it's right there in the name. Duh.
Anybody have a clue what a '06 46" Toro is worth? It has 214 hrs on it according to the gage. Model is LX460. My whole point was, it felt great to finally get at least one problem figured out, but took soooo long. Now if I could just figure out what's wrong with my Subaru, and why my '57's cooling fan isn't working.

alvin stadel

Rich, I talked with Ron [ old gasser  and he is seeing  these crazy words also, so I just thought everyone was seeing this.  Take care, Alvin

RICH MUISE

Hmmm. With Ron seeing it, it must be a problem on the site's end, not yours. Anybody else?

fdlrc

It all looks go Gusht, korrik, shtector od on my end. Just kidding, I added that stuff! I had ya for a second. It looks normal on my computer.
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

mustang6984

Looks normal on my end as well. (Thankfully!)
As for the Toro...if you have ironed out all the problems and get it to work like a champ...a fair price would be at least $500. There is a guy out here who sell riders all summer that he has reconditioned...and his prices run from $500 to 700 each depending on the make and age of the mower.
If your fan is electric...and works off the temperature...then either your relay or temp sensor is probably kaput.
There are my contributions for the day...now off to go move a junk car out of someone's yard! OH FUN! Amazing...when you have a couple of trailers...things to do with them...seems to find you! LOL!!!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

hiball3985

Everything looks normal to me.
Talk about getting old, I went to a music concert Sunday night for the first time in million years. It was good to see 95% of the people were over 50. Makes me wonder how some old people like Mark Knofler who is 70 now can perform like they do, he just smokes it on the guitar. He definitely isn't one of the burned out 70's drug musicians. 
I'm getting to the point of walking into another room to get something and then forget what is was when I get there  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

rmk57

It's has happened to me a couple times where I get the Euro money sign at the end of sentence. Usually when Jeff Norwell posts, but not always. Weird or what?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

We'll just blame it all on a foreign invasion by Jeff, sounds good to me.
Hugh........mine is far from a refurbished. Deck is noisy, probably needs the rest of the bearings replaced there. I replaced one last year when it desintergrated, probably should have done the other two. We paid 600 for it used, if I can get 4 to 4 1/2 for it, I'll be good with that.
My cooling fan on the '57......yes, electric. It turns on by a Vintage Air trinary switch when fan requested by A/C system. I replaced the cooling temperature sensor and connector when I replaced the engine earlier this year. I also added a switch so I could turn the fan on manually if I wanted. That was all working fine.
I talked with Vintage Air, and they said since the trinary switch actually controls two different circuits, it is possible, but unlikely, that the trinary switch is preventing the fan from turning on even though it's turning on the compressor.  It will not turn on at all, not from the engine temp being high enough nor the manual switch I added. I've checked the fuse, but have not checked the relay. I am not getting power to the fan connector, under any request, so it's not the fan. Most likely culprit is the relay as you mentioned.
With cooler weather here, no big hurry getting the A/C system working correctly, but I do need to change the drier and while I'm at it the trinary switch as well. So I'll do that later in the year. For now I'm just trying to make sure I can get the fan to turn on if I need it, which is unlikely with the cooler temps here. My engine runs at 195 unless stopped at idle for a lengthy time, so the fan is rarely requested to turn on anyway since the sensor is on at 205*.

Do motorcycles have a "driver's side"? lol

alvin stadel

Rich, I know you think I'm pulling your chain, but I'm not. My other sites and personal e-mail are all good. I wish I knew how to send you a copy of this and you would see what I'm talking about. Take care, Alvin