News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

CobraJoe

Fast-forward to this week;
Made some more progress on the '65 project yesterday; Damn, I'm still kicking myself in the a$$ for not finding a way to buy this car, it is way too nice.
I have played with these things (early Mustangs, I've probably owned at least 20) my whole life, starting in the '70's and I have never, ever seen one as solid as this car is.

Oh well, at least I passed it on to a good friend....

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

mustang6984

DANG! I wish you and your talented self lived closer to me! LOL!!!  :006: Nice work!   :003:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Ecode70D

Joe
    Is that you blasting the underside of that car?  Is there anything that you didn't take off of it?  From where I'm sitting, it looks like
a new body.    You certainly do good work.  Jay

CobraJoe

Thanks, the guy in the picture is my buddy; we took turns as it was an 8 hour day by the time we were done.
The car is down to bare steel and is in great shape, a very small area of rot on the drivers side rear quarter a ( sat with dirt in it) and a few pin holes in the floor (maybe 5 or 6) the rest of the car is solid. No rot in the window frames, miter boxes or battery tray; just a phenomenal piece.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

djfordmanjack

Wow Joe ! great car, efforts and pics !
May I ask, what is the pretty old industrial brick building in the background ? looking very nice !

Ecode70D

Günter
     I was wondering the exact same thing.   It looks like the back of my old high school, but I know that it isn't.
     Don't worry though because Joe will tell us.   Since you are an engineer, you have to tell me if they used the 1.617
     formula to put up that building.  Jay

djfordmanjack

Haha Jay ! Yes I have been very interested in industrial architecture and especially the Golden Ratio lately. not easily visible, but it sure is there on that nice old brick building. check out the windows. not the shape of the whole window, but the single glass pieces. sure is in the rectangular close to 1.6 ratio. also the upper vent wings on the windows have it as well. sideways.

since this is the morning coffee anyways let's have our friends here see something. Most probably it is nothing new to most and you all will have heard about the golden ratio in engineering and architecture. BUT, sometimes it is so obvious, and we don't even see it !!!

this is the 1934 version of the famous Ford V8 logo, which some say is the epitom of elegance in early Fords. Maybe so. It is interesting that the designers stayed a 100% true to the (natural given) golden ratio of 1.618 when designing the '8'. the total height compared to the lower loop of the 8 is exactly 1.618.
the size of the V compared to the 8 is also very very close to that ratio. So- well, these guys knew what they were doing !  :002: :003:

excuse me for using metric measurements, but the ratio would be the same in inches anyways.

Ford Blue blood

We have a gorgeous winter morning going on here!  No ice in my area.  28*, light snow falling, ground covered along with the driveway, shop and the truck.  Heat is working fine.  Post card perfect.  Looks like B-Ham escaped this round.

My daughter in Copperas Cove, TX has been without electricity since 5 AM yesterday morning.  Not so nice for her!  Many folks are in the hurts in the wide swath of this storm.  Have not talked to her yet this morning to see how things are.  Just moved into her house, all electric of course.  See if the dripping faucet thing works to keep the pipes from freezing.......

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

Great!!! Now I'm walking around the house with a tape measure. More cheap Covid entertainment while I'm locked down  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

4 degrees here now with a wind chill of -17. All in all not as bad as they predicted. We only have one water pipe on an outside wall, and it has been frozen for 4 days now. It's in the laundry room hooked up to our washer, so there was no way to let it drip, at least no easy way. Just have to wait and see I guess.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

Rich, is there a way to cut the water supply to that pipe before it starts to melt ? you may be lucky if it is a large and long pipe. During construction the steel heating pipes in my attics got frozen in a 2 weeks below zero (F) situation, but they did not crack luckily.

Jim, you are going to be surprised I guess. I have not really analyzed our 57Fords so far, but one thing I can tell you for sure, the glass of our 57/58/Edsel clocks is exactly in the golden ratio format. I have yet to prove it, but I have the feeling there is very good total length to wheelbase proportion and the magic roof length to total length ratio going on with a 57 Ford wgn. There are certain cars, that seem just right.

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2021-02-16 07:49
4 degrees here now with a wind chill of -17. All in all not as bad as they predicted. We only have one water pipe on an outside wall, and it has been frozen for 4 days now. It's in the laundry room hooked up to our washer, so there was no way to let it drip, at least no easy way. Just have to wait and see I guess.
Looks like more coming tomorrow  :005: Do you have a shut off valve and flex line before the washer?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

FiveSevenLiter

Come on guys, this is cold.
Was hoping it would hit -57.
:canada:
The GREAT white north!
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

Ecode70D

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2021-02-16 07:37

.  See if the dripping faucet thing works to keep the pipes from freezing.......

Yes.    The dripping faucet trick does work.  The problem is that the dripping has to be started before the pipes freeze.

hiball3985

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2021-02-16 10:29
     Yes.    The dripping faucet trick does work.  The problem is that the dripping has to be started before the pipes freeze.

Thats what the propane torch is for  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang