News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

That 34 phaeton project WAS NOT A WALK IN THE PARK! It was designed to take away all of your patience.  Most of the
parts were made of unobtanium.   

fordrunner390

ecode70d all good questions and i'll try to fill in the gaps as much as i remember when i put the 57 under that tarp, i took the spark plugs out and squirted marvel mystery oil in all the cylinders, cranked the engine over a couple turns, squirted a little more marvel in and put the spark plugs in hand-tight and left the plug wires off and sealed the carb with a plastic bag. now i took the tarp off several times before 1979 just to check on the car and make sure everything was ok. when we built our new house in lockport in 1979, i took the tarp off for good and my wife and i brought the 57 to her new garage in lockport. now the general condition of the car was tired, but i did not notice any new rust on the body. but i found out later it was festering inside the rocker panels, floor braces, rear quarters, trunk, and toe board on the driver's side. i took the spark plugs out and turned the engine by hand just to be sure it was not frozen up, then spun it on the starter 8 or 10 times, put the plugs back in it put fresh gas in it, primed the carb and cranked it and the 332 turned over maybe two revolutions and fired right up-in the cover of night, my wife and i put the plates from the 68 galaxie on the 57 and drove her the 20 miles to her new garage in lockport. the way that ford started and ran after sitting six years reminded me of what a buddy of mine i worked with always said " fred, as you go through life always remember the only thing better than a ford is two of them"   how true i own 3 fords----more later--fred

RICH MUISE

Well, I guess my '57 is not going to cooperate fully for this roadtrip, lol. I blew off the lower radiator hose this morning, lost all the coolant. Everything was intact, but I did notice the hydraulic hose clamp I was using was at the end of it's range, so figured that was the issue, and replaced it with a regular worm drive clamp I had been trying to get rid of. Took it out for a 20 mile drive. No overhaeting, no leaks, but I did leave it running in the driveway while I went in for coffee. When I came out 3 or 4 minutes later, coolant all over and the same radiator hose off again. WYH?? Just got thru cleaning up the mess and will take a closer look tonight.
At least this is not happening on the road 75 miles from nowhere. Think I'll pack a few gallons of water.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

Off hand I'd say you are building up pressure and blowing off the hose. Maybe thermostat is toast? We blew off the bottom hose on the Explorer in '18 because the thermostat bit the dust. Just a thought.   :dontknow:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

I was thinking about that,  but I've had no problem with overheating, so???? Also, no overflow in the catch can. It's in a really difficult area to reach, and with my lack of hand strength anymore, I'm not sure what it's going to take to get it back together. At this point, I'm going to assume my initial thought of the hose clamp not tight enough, and second time not getting the hose on far enough for the clamp to get behind the bump.
It's not a  just pick up a new hose deal. Wish it was. I've had to use a ss flex hose with rubber adapters at both ends. The radiator hoses have always been a major headache. One of these days I'm going to bite the bullet and have a radiator made that will eliminate the hose issues.

mustang6984

I didn't show any over heating either right away. about the time I did...the hose left the scene. I am unaware of anything else that can build up that sort of pressure. I'd have to see it to come up with any other ideas.

BTW...did you get the e-mail I sent you? about 3 days ago? About something missing?
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

no, I don't think so. I'll look.
I got the hose on....correctly this time. Later, or in the morning, I'll fiil it back up and watch the radiator for coolant flow when the thermostat should open.
BTW, the problem I was having getting the hose pushed on, aside from reach, the thermostat housing on the 4.6 actually "floats". It's located by 3 radiator/coolant hoses. So, trying to push a tight fit hose onto jello until I finally figured out I needed to get something (a 1 x 2) down there to brace the housing. I also added a bit of lithium grease to the parts. Took 5 minutes, yay!!

mustang6984

My fingers will be crossed. As one who made 4 trips across country for this re-location...and had some sort of "annoyance" on each one...I I can truly say I hope you have none...that I had enough for EVERYONE on the forum who is going to travel this year!   :toothy9:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

in a tech discussion with Jeff he once mentioned how the braided ss coolant hoses were a real pain, and he also had some major issues with them.
Rich did you check the inner lining of the ss coolant hose ? maybe it collapsed or twisted or whatnot ? Maybe its blocking its own pass.
I always try using the highest quality factory standard rubber hose that I can just shorten or cut off certain parts.

RICH MUISE

Guenter.........the hoses connected to the radiator-thermostat housing are the 1 1/2 variety, not the braided lines with the inner core that is on everything else. One of the issues with a 4.6 is most everything is metric, so there's always adapters involved. My top radiator hose is rubber, but the bottom had to be the corrugated ss flex hose with rubber adapters on each end. The thermostat housing's outlet is only about 4inches or so from the lower outlet on the radiator, and they head off at angles, so I needed the flex line to make a loopy-loop if that makes sense. That's the reason I'd really like to have a radiator made with the lower outlet in a further-away location. Can't get to it from the bottom, the frame is in the way, and I could only get my left hand/arm down to it from the top. I gotta make sure this is good before I leave..not going to make for an easy road-side fix. At least I don't have a mechanical fan to deal with down there.
I'm hoping to see '57s at the goodguys show with 4.6s again so I can see how they approached it. In '19 there were 3.
I can't believe I'm heading to Florida during spring break!! (just found that out, lol)

fordrunner390

hi guys, back again with more on my 57 ford that i have lived with for 53 years. after getting it home to its new garage in lockport i jacked it up to take the weight off the suspension and at that time (1979) i thought it was getting tired and could use some "sprucing up" so i started by pulling all the front end sheetmetal, fenders, hood, inner fenders, brackets,hoses, with the intention of cleaning, sanding, and repairing the rust and wear damage from 22 years of driving 6 of them in salt-laden buffalo ny. when i rolled under the car on a creeper, i found the sad truth. the front toe board and floor pan on the drivers side was junk as were ALL of the body mounts both sides also inner and outer rockers, and trunk floor were starting to rust badly from being put away wet-all this was my fault as i am the guy who did all this damage. so i started a little at a time grinding rust, sanding, installing patch panels, etc. but i didnt do any of it right. at that time, i head a new home, kids, bills, and you know the story so i did work on the 57 on and off but it mostly sat for 20 years. as i said after my wife gave me the ultimatum in 1979 i worked on it almost day and night and got it back together-i even two toned it blue and whit my self in my garage and install the 390 from our old 68 galaxie in it and put it on the road in 1979. i'll see if i can post a picture of the car as it looks now----fred

fordrunner390

try again to post picture-fred

RICH MUISE

Car looks great, Fred.
The things I have owned for 53 years could probably be held in one hand, lol.

My car is good.....got up at five, got it filled up, taken for a short ride. Back home I took the cap off the radiator, and watched as  the thermostat opened. Good flow through the radiator. I let it run for another 15 minutes at idle...cooling fan kicked on and off a few times. Good to go. Took an hours nap, gotta start getting dog hair out of the car. With any luck I can squeeze in a second nap by lunchtime.

fordrunner390

one more picture of the engine-it is now a 63 390 block with 65 heads and 4bbl cast iron intake, roller timing chain, new pistons, rods, bearings, and brass soft plugs runs like a brand new 390---fred

djfordmanjack

Rich, maybe your second coolant mess was really only a problem with a huge steam bubble, where somewhere air was getting trapped after initial refill. I have had this with several cars upon a fresh coolant fill. it is best to just fill it 3/4 and leave the filler cap off until it warms up and blows off the trapped steam bubbles from inside the block/accessories. also you would want to fully open the heater, which could be another air trap. Good luck for your upcoming trip !

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2021-03-10 09:31
Car looks great, Fred.
The things I have owned for 53 years could probably be held in one hand, lol.

My car is good.....got up at five, got it filled up, taken for a short ride. Back home I took the cap off the radiator, and watched as  the thermostat opened. Good flow through the radiator. I let it run for another 15 minutes at idle...cooling fan kicked on and off a few times. Good to go. Took an hours nap, gotta start getting dog hair out of the car. With any luck I can squeeze in a second nap by lunchtime.