News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

Gary...........That looks very nice! Is it a restored car or a totally unmolested survivor?

RICH MUISE

Methinks you buy really really nice birthday gifts! My second ever brand-new car was a '65. Tell us about it. I'm especially curious what the emblem says.

I'm off in an hour or so for the NSRA show in Alburquerque.

Saw Hugh, Sasha, and Bob yesterday for a short time. With any luck and a lot of perseverance, he's waking up in his own bed this morning.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

Yes, I really spoiled myself on this one.  Based on some of the genus decisions I made as a young man, I'm amazed to see my 70th birthday!  Dad bought a new '65 Galaxie and the car left quite an impression.  At this point in life, I want to start no more projects.  So when this car popped up, I acted before I talked myself out of it.

The car:  1965 Galaxie LTD, 352 Thunderbird Special, 4 bbl., dual exhaust, auto. basic 2 dr hardtop with LTD option, power steering, power brakes but no AC.  Wimbleton white and I'm still researching the name of the valor cloth interior.

The story:  The car popped up 40 miles away on FaceBook Marketplace.  Grandma bought the car new and grandson inherited.  The car is a 44k mile 'survivor' and quite original with shiny, factory paint (except where Grandma did a little touch up with house paint...amazing blend job), good glass, headliner, seats, carpet, and dash pad.  All the chrome and stainless is straight and shiny.  The car was plated, insured and driven occasionally.

The plan:  I'll get it on the hoist for a though going over with plans to change all the fluids, replace all the rubber, and go through the brakes.  I'll repair a couple of small leaks and exhaust.  The 352 and COM sound good and perform adequate.  So, I may just clean, fix what's broke and drive it.  Or...have I found a new home for one of the engines on the stands.  Hmmmm...side oiler or cammer!

mustang6984

Nice ride Gary! Happy Birthday!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

I heard the mention of Charlie watts, so i figured i would post:

Well, it appears that I've been working too hard lately, at least according to my wife; she knew that I was a huge Eagles fan , (the band, not the football team) and that I had wanted to see them again while Glenn Frey was still alive, but sadly, we lost our chance.... so, she surprised last night with some tickets she had bought a while back for them at the TD garden.

She had told me months ago not to make any plans as it was going to be our "anniversary dinner". When I was getting ready, she told me where we were going, and that she had even set up the pre-paid parking; I was speechless.

On the way there, I didn't know what to expect' with Deacon Frey taking his dad's place as well as  Joe Walshe's age (and lifestyle, I'm a BIG Joe Walsh fan too!) ...Lets just say, we were both floored by the performance. My wife likes their songs, but didn't really know the players. By the end of the night, (they played for three + hours!) she told me she could watch Joe Walsh forever.

They sounded great and I would recommend going if you have the chance, they started out 50 years ago and I don't think we may ever get the chance to see them again...

I haven't been up that late in a long time, but it was totally worth it!

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

lalessi1

AWESOME TALE!
Lynn

djfordmanjack

cool !
It seems they had a full orchestra ?

CobraJoe

Yes, 46 piece orchestra and a 22 voice choir because it was The Hotel California tour. The first set was the entire album and the second set an encore was all their hits, including a lot of Joe Walsh songs.
here's the set list:

Hotel California
1.)Hotel California

2.)New Kid in Town

3.)Life in the Fast Lane

4.)Wasted Time

5.)Wasted Time (Reprise)

6.)Victim of Love

4.)Pretty Maids All in a Row
(with Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra)

8.Try and Love Again

9.The Last Resort

10.Seven Bridges Road

11.Take It Easy

12.One of These Nights

13.Take It to the Limit
(with Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra)

14.Tequila Sunrise

15.Witchy Woman

I16.n the City
(Joe Walsh song)

17.I Can't Tell You Why

18.Peaceful Easy Feeling

19.Love Will Keep Us Alive

20.Lyin' Eyes

21.Those Shoes

22.Walk Away
(James Gang cover)

23.Life's Been Good
(Joe Walsh song)

24.Already Gone
(Jack Tempchin cover)

25.The Boys of Summer
(Don Henley song)

26.Funk #49
(James Gang cover)

27.Heartache Tonight

Encore:
28.Rocky Mountain Way
(Joe Walsh song)

29.Desperado

30.The Long Run

31.Best of My Love

hiball3985

Too Cool!!! I'm a big Eagles fan also. I just recently retired/trashed my Joe Walsh T-shirt he gave me when he toured our JBL factory.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

mustang6984

So...Joe...hiball...SiriusXM is running a giveaway of tickets for the concert. All expenses paid...flight, room and tickets...for this concert when it hits L.A. in September I believe. No purchase required. Good luck!   :006:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

hiball3985

Thanks for the heads up. But with the virus crap spreading here I'm not going to any place with large gatherings.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

CobraJoe

Here you had to show a negative test with 48 hours or proof of vaccination (both) and still had to wear a mask before you were allowed into the building

fdlrc

Rich,

You remember that couple from Gunnison Colorado that you visited with in Pueblo? This is their gray 57. I parked next to them at a car show last weekend.

The wagon is a Gene Winfield car, out of Kansas.
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

hiball3985

Beautiful! two great looking 57's. Custom wagon isn't my cup of tea..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang