News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang6984

That is pretty cool Joe...fate intervenes in strange ways sometimes eh?  :003:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

Well, you sure put a smile on my face this morning, Joe. A ton of Thank you's! You can see why I thought of Jimmy's when you mentioned a restaurant with a harbor view.
Bringing back memories now, I also remember Anthony's Pier 4, and the pic you posted reminded me of the coat and tie requirements to get into those places. Times have changed, heh! One of my first girlfriends after high school liked an "islander" type restaurant in Chinatown. can't remember the name, but equally known as the harborside places. Being from a small town (Acton), they were big nights for us since most of the time we were working for minimum wage. A cheap night would have us driving around the Combat Zone near downtown, walking the Boston Common or Harvard Square. My dad use to hang out in Skully Square when he was younger. (Said he worked for a detective agency, but the shoulder holster always made me wonder.) I remember the coffee shop(?) with the huge teapot that always blew out steam.
Thanks again Joe.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

CobraJoe

Yeah Rich, I remember that too, originally it was at  the Oriental Tea Company at 57 Court St. in Scollay Square, although I think it may have moved a few times throughout Boston over the years...

..now it sits outside a Starbucks coffeehouse on 63-65 Court Street near Government Center

A little Boston history:

"One of the reasons they hung that tea kettle up there, and the reasons a butcher would hang a picture of a cow, or a baker would hang a big representation of a pie, is because Boston was becoming a city of immigrants. Many of those immigrants didn't speak English and so for the purveyors of their wares to tell people what they were shopping for, they would hang representations, and so the tea kettle, for generations of Bostonians, told them where they could buy some of the finest tea in Boston.

The area became known as Scollay Square. It was a sailor's port of call housing restaurants, tattoo parlors and burlesque houses like the Old Howard Theater.

The Old Howard was built as a church in 1843 and eventually became a popular theater. John Wilkes Booth was one of the actors who performed there. It closed in the 50?s and ten years later, a fire prompted the city to order it torn down.

The sign spent many years outside the Oriental Tea Company.  Later, it moved from one location to another as buildings were torn down, finally ending up outside a Starbucks coffeehouse on Court Street.  It is interesting that the popularity of the advertising tool outlived the Oriental Tea Company by many years.

In 2016, the tea kettle sustained some damage and was removed temporarily for repairs. A truck had hit a pole nearby while working on a construction site and although it was never confirmed, it is alleged that the accident caused a significant dent in the side of the kettle.  The kettle was returned to its hinges in October 2016."

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

CobraJoe

Now, my memories of the Combat Zone may be a little different then yours... :003:
since Boston was 50 miles away, we would all go up in a van and hope somebody was sober enough or didn't get arrested so they could drive us home...

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

RICH MUISE

No, memories are the same, lol. The girlfriend I mentioned that liked the Tiki (?) restaurant, always wanted to go to the adult movie theater (Pilgrim) after. Made for a good night! I'm still in touch with her. She married a best friend, and their daughter is my goddaughter.
Good to know the teapot is still a landmark!!.......and very close to it's original location.

Ecode70D

I haven't been able to get to the computer for a few days so I missed a lot of stuff. The tea pot is still there hanging on the building in Boston In the old days there was a picture of what we believed to be  my brother's 57 custom driving past it in Scolley Square.   That was before they changed the name to Government Center
    Thank you for the pictures of old Boston the Pilgrim theater and the combat Zone
     I got married just once when I was twenty five  Last month made 56 years.
      Joe  that was the very best smile that I could come up with.  Jay

Ecode70D

Rich
   That was the Tiki Kai or Tiki Khi  restaurant. We used to go there also It was the best one around back then in the 50s.
Jay 

hiball3985

First road trip of 2022  :001:, just 150 mile round trip up the coast. After the holidays and days of rain we have good weather this week and we just needed to get out. Windows down, music on and my left arm that hangs out the window got sun burned. We didn't stop anywhere that would make a good picture of the car and I pretty much gave up trying to do any while driving..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

alvin stadel

Jim, I realize it would be a little more than a 150 mile trip, but you should come on over. You damn sure would not have your windows down or arm hanging out. It got up to 2 above 0, and snowed like crazy yesterday. Now our weather man says it will be 41 today. It has been like a roller coaster here this winter. I would love to get a car out and go for a drive, but I will have to wait for about 3 more months.

oldave57

This is about as close to a drive as I can get with my 57 for the next 2-3 months also.  I just went over to charge the battery to keep it up in the cold weather.  It was -5 F here in Iowa this morning.  I usually charge the battery every 2 months during winter storage.  Can't wait for spring!!!

hiball3985

Alvin, it's been like a roller coaster here too for the last month, I may not get out again until March..
I lived in the cold of NY and I could never do it again. I wish you warmer weather soon..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

Quote from: oldave57 on 2022-01-07 10:30
This is about as close to a drive as I can get with my 57 for the next 2-3 months also.  I just went over to charge the battery to keep it up in the cold weather.  It was -5 F here in Iowa this morning.  I usually charge the battery every 2 months during winter storage.  Can't wait for spring!!!
Look at the bright side, better to be stuck in the garage then on the I-95..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Good to hear you got out Jim!
I've been doing ALOT of driving/roadtrips the past few weeks.........most of it in my Outback though. I did take the '57 to Russell's truck stop in NM Tuesday....just 160 mile roundtrip, and a 100 mile shortie to Dumas a few days before. Now, my Outback since Christmas, I did a 600 trip (in one day) to New Mexico, a 470 mile trip to south central Oklahoma, yesterday I did a 345 miler to Northwest Oklahoma. I can now say I've been on us60 all the way from the Ca. border into Oklahoma. 60 is one of the highways that pass thru Amarillo. Nothing going on for any of it.just like to drive.

hiball3985

Good for you Rich, your doing better then me. US60? I don't think I have ever been on it, I'll look it up..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

mustang6984

14* here last night...but temps set to rise to the high 40's low 50's for the next 7 days,.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker