News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Destroyed my 3.70 Equi-Loc

Started by JimNolan, 2011-06-26 19:43

Previous topic - Next topic

burns

really? I wonder why? it sure looks like a clutch type unit, maybe they have had some issues? I know ford used to have it in the 90 weight instead of in separate bottles. I personally haven't had any issues using it, mind you this is in a ford trac-loc which is what it looks like they used for design.

JimNolan

Burns,
  When I first got the unit home and opened it up I called Moser back and told them they'd made me a trac-loc instead of a Tru-Trac. I told them it looked like the Trac-Loc I'd bought for the 63. ( you had to put friction modifiers in that gear oil). The picture of the Tru-Trac on their brochure is that of a GM 10 bolt unit ( they're made different). The differential I got from California is the same. THEY ARE TRU-TRACs. If you look close you might see the four gear positions on the tapered side.
   I'd bet there isn't a handful of guys that's seen a Ford 9" Tru-Trac on this website. That was me included. I hope I never see another one. They are heavy when you end up putting them in yourself. Jim  PS  After about 500 miles I don't notice anything with the rear end. Sounds good, don't notice in grabbing in turns even at low speeds. Part of it might me that I figure it won't come apart now.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

burns

Gotcha! the ford tru-trac had a similar block with 4 springs in the middle correct? I remember having a diff. that seemed to just load the side gears rather than having clutches.not sure if that is what a tru-trac was considered or not.