News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Heat risor valve

Started by clusterbuster, 2015-08-02 10:32

Previous topic - Next topic

clusterbuster

Does anyone know what position the Y Block heat risor lever should be in when the engine is warmed up. Mine moves freely when cold and binds up when it gets hot. The lever is almost all the way to the top when hot. I am thinking it is supposed to be down all the way when it is open. Any thoughts on this?

RICH MUISE

I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

clusterbuster

Thanks Rich. From reading his explanation, when the lever weight is all the way down or verticle, the valve  is all the way open. That is what I thought.

clusterbuster

Found this on an article concerning some 55-57 Ford Y Block overheating. The heat risor was one source of some overheating. Explains it really well.

nsure the heat riser on the right hand exhaust manifold is working properly. It should operate freely by hand and open during acceleration and cruise. The counter weight goes down as it opens. Better yet replace the valve with dummy (flapper removed) or a spacer.
Install an electric fan, especially if equipped with air conditioning and the car is used in parades or extended slow city driving. I prefer a pusher mounted in front of the radiator between the air condition condenser and radiator.