News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Cowl kick panels

Started by Ron, 2017-01-26 14:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron

Does anyone have a source for quality-made cowl kick panels?  I need a pair for my '57 Tudor Ranch Wagon, but the reviews I've read on Concourse, Dennis Carpenter, etc., were all pretty negative and commented on them being "cheaply made."  Thanks, Ron

57tudor

Ron,

The factory originals are just as bad as the repop's, cardboard. I made mine out of 1/8" paneling I had and used one of the old ones as a template. After I cut them out and did a test fit, then I installed some 1/2 foam, upholstered them, and installed them in my car and all is good. Any upholstery supply shop should have the foam, spray glue and possible some vinyl material to match or come closet to. I will take a few pic's and post them for you in a while.

Rick.
57 Tudor
:unitedstates:

RICH MUISE

probably are cheaply made, but as I recall the rotten ones I removed from my Custom were just a chipboard/cardboard, so my thinking is at least the cheaper models from Ford had cheaply made kick panels to begin with.
Some have bought them to use as templates for making their own. One of the easier things to make.
Edit.Rick was posting as I was typing. Just an additional note........if your adding an aftermarket chassis wiring panel to the kickpanel area, you may need to alter the panels anyways.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rmk57

One part I can't understand why it's not reproduced are the kick panel retainers. They're almost always rotted off on the bottom 2 inches. Pretty sure they could sell a ton of them.

EMS are you listening?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

djfordmanjack

Ron, the cardboard reproductions you can only use for patterns.They are just thick paper really and will warp the first time it rains or you wash the car. Seems the old oem cardboard was more resistant against moisture, but then just a little.
I recently made new ones from ABS board, looking pretty close to the originals. check my project thread:

http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=6705.45

RMK I agree, I need two sets of those a post kick panel retainers.

djfordmanjack

Marc

All those panels look so much better than the originals!

Ron

All these panels look amazingly good and so much better than stock.  Thanks for all the responses, guys!  Ron...

suede57ford

I made some out of 1/8" - 3/16" fiber board and covered in fiberglass similar to what stereo shops do when making custom speaker pods.   I added 3 metal tabs or fingers glued on the back with panel bond and the tabs fit in the original kick panel trim.   I textured them with some spray texture and colored urethane primer, and painted them a flat dark gray, and they look like what new factory ones should have looked, but they never will be damaged by water or warp.   

Your local stereo guys can show you how to make a set with rings added for mounting speakers too.  You can trim the cowl kick metal in circle and put a recessed metal pod bowl) so the speakers are more flush with the kick panel so they are less noticeable.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

Ray

I got mine from Larry's T-Bird out here as part of a package. Still cardboard but as is the custom with these packages, they came with matching vinyl glued on. Fit was not great but not so bad I couldn't use them.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird