News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

ford 9"

Started by glenmichael, 2018-01-12 16:45

Previous topic - Next topic

glenmichael

Hello Everyone, I have a question from my brother-in-law Woody, who spent many hours with my 57, He has a 1955 ford truck with a 1966 ford truck 9". Can he replace the axles that are 5.5" wheel centers with car axles to get 4.5" wheel centers to match the front which is now from a 2004 crown vic? I hope it's ok to ask this..

gasman826

yes or just re-drill the ones you have

Hoosier Hurricane

Obviously he would have to find axles with the same length, spline count, and bearing size.  Probably easier to re-drill as mentioned above.  Mosier Engineering offers this service, as I'm sure many other shops do also.   John

Ford Blue blood

and don't forget the drums......Might be easier to get the Crown Vic rear and use it?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

rmk57

Don't those axels have the hole in the flange to access the backing plate?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

gasman826

OEM...yes.  Aftermarket may or may not.  If ordering, you should confirm size and placement.

glenmichael

Hello Everyone, We like the idea of pulling the axles, have them plugged and re-drilled then new drums. gasman826 do you know  someone near Adrain that can do this-vs- shipping to Mosier? Thanks for the help, the rear end fits the truck and has a nice gear so this would be a nice fix..

Hoosier Hurricane

You wouldn't have to have the original holes plugged, just rotate the bolt pattern and re-drill.  If it has the access hole mentioned, one of the "new" holes will have to be between that hole and a bolt hole, otherwise just drill the new holes halfway between the old ones.  The brake drums could also be re-drilled to the 4 1/2" pattern.  On my Ranchero I have Lincoln front disc brakes, two different bolt patterns front and rear, and carry a spare tire with two bolt patterns in its wheel.   John

gasman826

There is a machine shop just before the north end of Porter Hwy.  Can't get much closer.

rmk57

Thats the reason I was asking if they have the hole in them. It's going to be pretty thin either by the access hole or where the old stud hole is.
I'd weld up the big hole if your going to be using this for performance use.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429