News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Overheating Issue Resolved

Started by lalessi1, 2022-06-05 12:01

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

On my Custom I replaced the (2) 12 Spal electric fans with a 20" Derale fan, a low profile Hayden clutch and a custom shroud.. The results were nothing short of unbelievable. the car idles at 185 and any movement results in a drop of temperature to 180. The A/C bumps that up a little maybe 10 degrees. No more electric fans for this car guy. Thanks Gary!Clutch Fan.jpg 
Lynn

59meteor

Nice looking set up, seems to work good. I know many people that "upgraded" to aftermarket electric fans, and had cooling issues, until they put a belt driven fan back on. Where did you get that fan shroud? I have an aluminum Auto City Classic radiator in my 59, with a 428 CJ FE, also using a 18" FlexALite stainless 7 blade fan, with no shroud. It cools very well, unless it has to idle for  20-30 minutes or more. It drops right down once moving again, but I think a shroud would help in such conditions.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

RICH MUISE

Great job Lynn, sounds like you got the right advice from Gary!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

Quote from: 59meteor on 2022-06-05 14:22Nice looking set up, seems to work good. I know many people that "upgraded" to aftermarket electric fans, and had cooling issues, until they put a belt driven fan back on. Where did you get that fan shroud? I have an aluminum Auto City Classic radiator in my 59, with a 428 CJ FE, also using a 18" FlexALite stainless 7 blade fan, with no shroud. It cools very well, unless it has to idle for  20-30 minutes or more. It drops right down once moving again, but I think a shroud would help in such conditions.

I had the shroud fabricated at a local sheet metal shop. Here is the sketch I used. I had to notch the "blade tip shroud" to clear the upper radiator hose though with the dimensions given. I have the "plan view" which locates the center on another sketch but I think my engine is not in the exact factory location it seems to be  offset to the right. I can scan both drawings if you'd like. I tried the 18" FlexALite fan but I think this one is MUCH better. The Derale is also available in 19" and 18" diameters, I have a 19" one.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hda-2947

Lynn

suede57ford

That is a very nice and effective fan set-up.    I prefer a rpm (not thermal) clutch type fan on all my cars like you have done and none of my cars overheat even in the texas heat.  Mechanical may be more effort than electric fan but more reliable and quieter than electric.  I often use an additional auxiliary pusher fan in front of the condenser on AC cars but always a mechanical fan on the engine when possible.

Thank for sharing your ideas and success.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

lalessi1

Quote from: suede57ford on 2022-06-10 17:02That is a very nice and effective fan set-up.    I prefer a clutch type fan on all my cars like you have done and none of my cars overheat even in the texas heat.  Mechanical may be more effort than electric fan but more reliable and quieter than electric.  I often use an additional auxiliary pusher fan in front of the condenser on AC cars but always a mechanical fan on the engine when possible.

Thank for sharing your ideas and success.

After seeing your comments on the addition of a pusher fan, I decided to try that too! My car while not overheating is still warmer than I would like, plus my A/C could use a little help. A little research on the topic revealed a difference of opinion as to whether or not a pusher would help or hurt. I decided to do it anyway. I purchased a 16" Spal pusher fan and managed to install it in the car. after the installation I started the, car turned on the A/C and let the car idle for 45 minutes, the car never got over 190 degrees. A hot rod buddy of mine witnessed the event and he was impressed with the level of airflow and cooling.

He brought to my attention that the electric fan and the A/C clutch were dropping out for a couple of
minutes and restarting. (This would explains a few problems like erratic A/C and cooling issues with electric fans only.) I tracked the problem to a slightly undersized circuit breaker that would reset after cooling down. I replaced the circuit breaker with a larger one and now the A/C is COLD and the engine has never run cooler, it stays around 180!

The only concession to the integrity of the car is I left out the bracket that bolts the grill to the splash apron in the middle.

The problem only has taken 5 years to finally fix.
Lynn

Tom S

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2022-06-07 07:29I had the shroud fabricated at a local sheet metal shop. Here is the sketch I used. I had to notch the "blade tip shroud" to clear the upper radiator hose though with the dimensions given. ..............
57 fan shroud drawing.jpg

KULTULZ

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

SkylinerRon

There was an article written in a back issue of Street Rodder magazine detailing how to build your own fan shroud. It didn't look that hard to do.
If I can find it i'll post it up.

Ron.