News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford Country Sedan mocha silver V8 4dr wagon

Started by djfordmanjack, 2016-11-29 03:06

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

It's about taxes. Usually gas was most expensive in Germany , Italy or France, Belgium aso, but with all the trouble happening in the past 2 years and the war going on in eastern Europe. who knows why, but gas price in Austria got to the top of Europe. even higher than in Germany. yes the taxe rate is somewhere between 50 and 75% on top of the product. At least in Germany and Austria. There's even another Co2 emmision tax being added soon.  (15+ ct a litre that could be well around 60ct more per gln)

Quote from: KULTULZ on 2022-08-16 01:54Why is EURO gasoline so expensive? You guys have NORTH SHORE and N. AFRICA oil. It has always been this way it seems (post-war). Is it taxes or product source price?

lalessi1

Beautiful pics as always! Gas is at $2.99 here!
Lynn

hiball3985

Great picture. We are down to about $5.70  :005:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

KULTULZ

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2022-08-16 02:03It's about taxes. Usually gas was most expensive in Germany , Italy or France, Belgium aso, but with all the trouble happening in the past 2 years and the war going on in eastern Europe. who knows why, but gas price in Austria got to the top of Europe. even higher than in Germany. yes the taxe rate is somewhere between 50 and 75% on top of the product. At least in Germany and Austria. There's even another Co2 emmision tax being added soon.  (15+ ct a litre that could be well around 60ct more per gln)

Interesting and thank you for that info.

How is the war affecting your economy? Suspected fuel shortages this winter?
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

djfordmanjack

Obviously this could be touching our sensitive no-politics policy on this forum, so please let's keep this discussion forum friendly. As far as I know it is NOT about a shortage of raw oil or fuels (gasoline, Diesel) at all. It is mostly both because of the environmental directions of most all European countries and the obvious shortage of natural gas supply from the east, which increases the price of all other fuels. heating oil is still twice the price as last year (was up to 3 times a few months ago) as are several wood based heating materials (which sounds very stupid for a country like ours that has woods and woods and some more woods). The whole talk is about heating material shortage ( because of the lack of gas supply), not about car fuels. They are now reopening coal powerplants and discussing environmental friendly atomic plants.  :deadhorse:
It is interesting that some (former Eastern) countries like Hungary, Slovenia, Poland, Slovenia ( and former Yugoslavian countries) have put a limit on fuels and keep it around or below $6/gln. There is more to it, which I won't get into detail.

As all of you can imagine people are quite upset over here.
I am lucky to still be doing ok and being able to take out the 57 now and then. :001:

KULTULZ

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

SkylinerRon

DC area dropping below $3.99, finally.....

Ron.

Richard Grizzle

Thats the color I want my wagon to be. It was originally dark brown top to bottom

djfordmanjack

Nov.23rd,short season update.
Finally the temperatures dropped significantly within past 2 weeks, so I turned in my license plates and canceled the registration ( you guys may remember that we have a somewhat different tax system over here that allows us to pause vehicle taxes, if we turn in the plates for winter).

I did not put many miles on the 57 this year, but I drove it frequently also to the store and around town, which was a lot of fun. Sweet and reliable daily as well. not a single hick up.

Gas is still very pricey and doesn't seem to come down anywhere soon, so the 57CS will probably not become my daily driver next year. Hopefully I can take her out several times for local cruise nights.

One of our summer cruises was rained out, but I was on my way anyways so that made a nice rainy pic.
In September I attended a Rock'n'Roll type festival and they also took a shot of the '57 next to a '57 German Opel and what appears to be a 57 Buick ( or is it a 56 ?)
At that show I met Tony Passalaqua, the former lead singer of the Fascinators who had a sweet hit record in 1957 ( among many others). He also told me that he had a 57 Ford back then. He immediately started a conversation and we were talking Y blocks and good times. Nowadays he lives in FL and still has a 56 Sunliner and a 36 Ford.

cokefirst

I am a BIG doo wop fan and I love The Fascinators.  It was very cool that you got to visit with him. 
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

RICH MUISE

I do believe that buick is a '57. It should have a 3 piece back widow.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

Tony still has a great stage appearance and voice after all these years (concerning his age). He was backed up by the great Italian Doo Wop group Freddy Velas and the Silvertones, who really take the music as close as possible to the original 1950s sound.
Being well into his 80s Tony still travels alone and he was in the audience enjoying the other groups all weekend long. Really down to earth guy to hang out with and chatting cars as well. He said he is also still doing some concerts in the USA, so you may want to check out the tour schedule.

Quote from: cokefirst on 2022-11-23 17:45I am a BIG doo wop fan and I love The Fascinators.  It was very cool that you got to visit with him. 

Here is a nice song by the Silvertones from Italy. Doo Wop is really big in Italy. Also in Spain.

djfordmanjack

yes it does ! The owner couple are nice folks from Germany. It is interesting they both have their car tattooed on their forearm, I believe the lady has the colored version, and the guy a b/w.

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2022-11-23 18:29I do believe that buick is a '57. It should have a 3 piece back widow.

cokefirst

You have a fabulous retro Doo Wop Group in Germany, Crystaiaires and England has a very good group known as The Roommates.  I love their music!!
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

djfordmanjack

I have actually seen the Chrystalaires in person in Stuttgart, but this has been a long time ago, like 15 years at least. I remember the concert very well, they had tremendous harmonies.
Do you know the Velvet Candles from Spain ? Incredibly good! I heard them live this summer.

They can even pull this off, just unplugged in the streets. No computer, no amplification, no voice auto tune, I love this raw performance, they are THAT good !