News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

ADDCO sway bar

Started by thomasso, 2021-11-01 11:15

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasso

Finally got my Addco front sway bar.  Ordered in May from Jeggs.  One good thing is it was 25 bucks cheaper then.  The bar 020-2151 is one inch in diameter not the 7/8 as advertised.  All good as I couldn't see how 1/8 inch would make much difference.  Factory bar is .708 or therabouts.  Installation was not too bad considering almost 81 and working on creeper.  Fiddlin bars and C clamps.  Probably won't drive until may as it is winter here.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

Fairlane62

Tom,
Does the Adco bar use stock Ford brackets and locations?

Thanks,
James

thomasso

Yes.  Just like original.  The after market bars with custom brackets and end links are probably more efficient and great for resto rods but not for accurate restoration.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

Fairlane62

Thanks for the response.  I will look into the bar.  I rebuilt the front end on my 58 but have not yet re-installed the stock sway bar since it was pretty gimpy.

suede57ford

I have one on my ranchwagon and it is definitely worth doing.  I instantly could tell it helped the stability.  It's a good value for the improvement.   
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

milehihuntsman

I'm having difficulty with this same install. Supposed to be a direct replacement for 57-59. Paperwork is generic and says some original hardware may be required to be used. There is no way the small bushings that came with the bar will work with the original brackets. You can see in my pic the bushings and one of the original brackets. Tips anyone? Thanks!

gasman826

I made bushings.

Jeff Norwell

Mines not an ADDCO....and it mounts different...This is the second one I have purchased through Larry's T-birds.... its a 1 1/8 bar.... uses the same urethane mounts... but not in the stock location.
I can say it adds a great difference on steering and handling.... 1000% better than a stock Ford unit ....but they sure have climbed in price over the last 7 years.....

https://www.larrystbird.com/product/front-sway-bar-kit-5758-1-18/

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

SkylinerRon

FYI, Stock bars were .60" on sedans and .69 on wgns, deliveries, Rancheros and Skyliners.

Ron.

Marc

Quote from: Jeff Norwell on 2022-09-19 07:42.... 1000% better than a stock Ford unit ....but they sure have climbed in price over the last 7 years.....

I've been thinking about getting one of those for a while. Wish I'd bought one when I first started thinking about it!

lalessi1

The original ADDCO bars I remember seeing had reduced diameters on the ends to allow the use of stock bushings... I NEVER liked the original sway bar that is why I didn't use one.
Lynn