News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Super neat 57 Fords from the Long Beach area

Started by djfordmanjack, 2023-02-03 10:59

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

Was just looking through all the pics I took on my 2013 California/Arizona trip and I remembered some of the cool 57s I saw.

Wonder if any of our members know about the cars and owners, or if maybe some of the owners are even members on here?
All of these pics were taken in March 2013, almost 10 yrs ago ! Phew....how time flies by....

This tastefully customized Skyliner, I remember belonged to a senior Gentleman of the Renegades car club. Attending the cruise night at Bob's Broiler in Downey.

A week earlier this stock blue/white Skyliner was there !

These sweet Rancheros were in the parking lot at the Long Beach Swap meet.

This flawless Hemi powered Ranch Wagon was simply stunning. Nasty and great sounding exhaust system.

and of course my own Del Rio was there at Bobs, Doughnut Derelicts, and in the Long Beach parking area 6am.  :003:

RICH MUISE

All awesome, but I especially love the retrac!! great color. Thanks for posting DJ.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

That was a real nice car back then Rich. (hopefully still is today). I don't know if you saw it but it has the panels between the ss trim (that are usually gold anodized pyramid print aluminium) painted in a somewhat iridescent, in lack of better words, maybe pearlescent paint. What I liked most about the car was the fadeaway lavender paint on the fender tips and trunk panel. It wasn't straight edge perfect lines (as in street rods), but rather 'fogged in' paint. Much like you would see done in the little page mags from the 50s and 60s. I have no clue if this is an original old kustom/paint or a more recent build or restoration of an old Kustom.
Would love to learn about all those cars and their owners, where they are today and possibly see some more old or new pics of those.

RICH MUISE

I did notice the panel was painted, or at least appeared smooth, couldn't tell for sure from the pic. What I didn't notice at first look, unbelievably,was the custom side trim itself. Amazing job. Looks like it was supplied by Henry.

abe_lugo

The grill on the Skyliner customs seems to be a favorite now. 
I have yet to see any of these locally.  thanks for posting. 
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

Marc

Wow that retractable is nice. What a difference on the front end by simply filling the seams and rounding the hood corners.

59meteor

On that lavender Skyliner, the rounded hood corners look pretty cool, personally not a fan of the 55-6 Plymouth grill, I have yet to see any frill in a 57 that looks better than the original grill, simple perfection. The molded in headlight rings looks smooth, but I have to wonder what would be involved if you needed to replace a head light bulb. Thank for posting the photos, some neat cars there.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

abe_lugo

Usually on drenched headlight the buckets have to come out from the back.  Even the adjustment screw are hard to get to. 
Same with the Plymouth grill not a huge fan. 
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

RICH MUISE

Very strange that the tailight housings are not seamless as with all the rest of the seam removal they did.

mustang6984

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2023-02-04 13:10Very strange that the tailight housings are not seamless as with all the rest of the seam removal they did.

I noticed that as well. I would have expected the rear to also be made seamless. I believe you and I had a short discussion on that...as I was thinking of doing same. Weren't yours seamless now?
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

Skyliner taillights must be difficult to get to from inside, once everything has been molded (because of all the motors and hinges in the back). they do look like Galaxie bezels ? they seem to sit flush with the pot metal surrounds, unlike 57 lenses that have a recess and simple screws around the perimeter.

edit. its even interesting why they filled all seams on the frontend, but left the og lead seams between the rear quarters and lower trunk panel.

RICH MUISE

Posible correct on all the roof stuff maybe in the way, but easy to make it all come out from the outside. That's how I did mine. The screws that hold my Galazie lenses in, also hold the bucket. Not sure why one would have to remove the housing anyways.
Yes, Hugh, mine are seamless, as is the seam below the taillights that DJ mentioned.
Their thinking was 180* from mine. I did not make the nosepiece seamless with the fenders. That would make removal of one fender impossible.

Jeff Norwell

G. fantastic pics.. do you recall the size and brand of that Hemi?.... Chrysler? Desoto? or Dodge?
I still have a fewChryslers around. and it would seem a 92 would be tough to fit due to width.
A Dodge or Desoto would be simpler... Love it.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

djfordmanjack

Sorry Jeff, no idea what size. couldn't ask the owner as only saw him briefly when he was already in the car and leaving, a senior white haired gentleman, probably in his 70s back then- For what it's worth, it sounded HUGE! I think a 392 wouldn't be such a problem in a 57 engine bay. as the block basically isn't that much wider than a Y block or FE, the HEMI just gets real bulky at the top with those large heads. I reckon they would sit well above the 57's upper A arms, would be interesting if any center dump headers clearing the oem 57 steering box, But most probably they could be easily modified as the Y block has oil filter and oil pump on drivers side, so there must be enough space in the chassis. wait, do I recall correctly that the Hemi oil filter sits approx where the Y block oil pump is ? So many questions, no real answers....hahaha
As I recall the black wagon was really a high end build. The interior was made of what seemed real ostrich leather.

Ecode70D

t

Günter
    Those are nice looking peicures, especially the 2dr 57 beach wagon.  I had  two of them, but both were 4 doors. Jay