News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Grille Rechome

Started by 1957clint, 2023-07-17 19:37

Previous topic - Next topic

1957clint

I got a 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Grille that need to be rechomed. I live in Alabama. Does anybody know someone who does that?

mustang6984

There is a place here in MO, in Cuba MO that has a chrome shop.

Highline Plating Inc.
(573) 885-7651
PO BOX 59, 105 Enterprise Dr.
Cuba, MO 65453

https://highlineplating.webs.com/

I have seen them at several shows in the area, and people that have used them seem to be happy with their work. They have been around for a LONG time...50 years or so.

Hugh
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

KYBlueOval

Quote from: 1957clint on 2023-07-17 19:37I got a 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Grille that need to be rechomed. I live in Alabama. Does anybody know someone who does that?
I recently got quotes on having a '57 grill rechromed, all 3 pieces. The prices ranged from $600.00 to $1200.00, and that would not include shipping, if it was required.
If you think that is expensive.......have you priced automotive paint lately?
John

terry_208

Quote from: KYBlueOval on 2023-07-18 05:44I recently got quotes on having a '57 grill rechromed, all 3 pieces. The prices ranged from $600.00 to $1200.00, and that would not include shipping, if it was required.
If you think that is expensive.......have you priced automotive paint lately?
John

That's some good prices.  I got a quote locally @ $350 a side.  I didn't ask about the center piece.
Terry

Jeff Norwell

For some of you US brothers, a Canadian Option.... you will save nearly at least 30 points on the dollar.
Cambridge Chrome is a Highly reputable place in Ontario.
Cant get around shipping unfortunately.

http://www.cambridgecustomchrome.com

And yes John..... Paint quotes are...ridiculous,.... Any future builds will pretty much cancel out that aspect.
Costs on paint my 57 was well North of 15K.
The materials have skyrocketed 500% in the last 5 years.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

RICH MUISE

500% in 5 years....that's crazy. Do they blame it on Covid? The worst part is, with the domino effect, we all pay for it daily whether we need a paint job or not. Insurance costs for our daily drivers as well.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

That is massive, Jeff, although reasonable ( Ok , I hear myself, typing that, and sounding like an idiot...). A guy I know spent 25 k for painting a much smaller Italian GT type car. It is a beautiful paint job on a pretty car, and well done, ground up. but nothing that special, honestly....chrome and paint are becoming hardly affordable to the average car guy.

BP57CUSTOM

There used to be a shop in Florence Al. Are they still in business?
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

Jeff Norwell

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2023-07-19 16:32That is massive, Jeff, although reasonable ( Ok , I hear myself, typing that, and sounding like an idiot...). A guy I know spent 25 k for painting a much smaller Italian GT type car. It is a beautiful paint job on a pretty car, and well done, ground up. but nothing that special, honestly....chrome and paint are becoming hardly affordable to the average car guy.

Yes G..... the average guy is really being run over and forgotten  in this hobby....  And yes.. its really sad.... and then its not hard to understand why young people cant get into this hobby,... let alone even have an interest.
My 32 truck(now sold) was painted in 2003. Materials for the 52 Ford coral Flame Paint was $1700 for material and $6500 to paint, cut and polish.
Before I sold it..I got a few quotes for a re paint this year in 2023. Materials were $5200 and cost was just north of $15K.

I was stunned.

RICH MUISE

Jeff, I assume the '57 is basecoat/clearcoat?? If so, do you know how many quarts/gallons of each it took..........I seem to remember about 6 qts of base and 2 gals of clear (not reduced).

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: BP57CUSTOM on 2023-07-19 18:41There used to be a shop in Florence Al. Are they still in business?

They are still there.  Very pricey and slow.  My Ranchero bumpers were perfect cores, they wanted 1200 each with a three month time frame to finish.

My paint guy said prices will continue to go up as a factory that makes a base chemical for all non water based paint had a fire.  They are not yet back on line.  He has problems getting some materials, activator for clear is a big one.  It is not a delivery problem but a lack of input to the supply chain. 

The clear I shoot from him runs right at 120/gal including the activator which is 1 & 1/4 ready to shoot.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Jeff Norwell

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2023-07-20 08:20Jeff, I assume the '57 is basecoat/clearcoat?? If so, do you know how many quarts/gallons of each it took..........I seem to remember about 6 qts of base and 2 gals of clear (not reduced).
Rich.... I really don't know.... and Im getting out of my wheelhouse.
My paint was a fleet paint(big rigs and Tankers) It was a single stage paint... I chose it because of its strength ... really really tuff stuff.(Is single stage the right term?)
I waited a very long time.... and did a LOT of horse trading and selling things to pay for this Paint work.
I was extremely happy in the end... the paint is not as strong on the UV content.. as say a reg. passenger car paint..... but very very chip resistant and is very easy to repair if needed.As for the UV content, I don't let my car sit outside 24/7... so. it didn't matter.
Fancier Paints with metallics and slight pearls are more $$$.But I wanted a black car... and truth be known I was going to settle on a primer semi gloss paint job.... but the Paint materials were the exact same.My Painter,Tom... surprised me.
He is a very good Painter and all his work is for wealthy clients that build 3-5 hundred K rides(pro touring stuff and a like.)
Tom would also mention how much "Real Estate was on the 57... long big areas.... and going Black was a lot more work.

As I mentioned...I am not sure what the terminology in the paint world.
Anyhow...

Apologies to 1957clint...I have derailed your thread.

On the plating of the 57 grill... years ago here ....I purchased a NOS grill from Lou and it was $500 bucks at the time.... and I thought it was a good deal, considering chroming prices would be a lot higher ,even then(10 years ago?)
(Is Lou still with us???.. or did I read he recently passed away????)

Good Plating work is again, very expensive.... a very good friend from Boston had 2 Cal Custom 40 40 scoops replaced...$1200 USD !!!!!!!!
they were perfect but I could never afford that.

RICH MUISE

Lou hasn't posted for a very long time. I haven't heard anything on him. Hopefully just his computer died, or maybe he was one of those we lost when the site was down for a long time a few years ago because they couldn't get back on.

gasman826

I offered in the FOR SALE section a re-chromed grille over two years ago for $350.  All three pieces and hardware.  Not one response.

Apologies in advance to the OP for skating their post.  The Custom used more than two gallons of PPG DBU 9700 base ($270 gal.)and two gallons of PPG DC4000 clear ($400 gal) plus all the reducer, activators and hardeners, and all the abrasives.  Some much of the materials end up on the floor to obtain that perfect black.  I will not do this again.  My next project is the '65 LTD that needs no complete paint or interior work...due to cost and time.  The LTD's purchase price of $4600 wouldn't be a down payment for a complete, high end paint or upholstery.

RICH MUISE

Gary, I seem to remember you had a cute college girl blocking out the Custom, lol. I'm really liking that Galaxie. It seems you got a heck of a deal on it!