News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Fairlane Gas Tank

Started by chapingo17, 2024-07-09 08:09

Previous topic - Next topic

chapingo17

I have a dented leaking gas tank. I pulled out gas tank and put water inside tank, but I could still smell gas. I was told I could repair it by soldering. I also know I could buy clay epoxy for leak. No sure what would be the best way to repair it.

59meteor

After having dealing with banged up, and rusty 65 plus year old gas tanks, a couple of times, I will never waste any time or money on them, especially when new tanks are available, and often, at a comparable price to trying to patch or clean up an old tank. It`s been several years since I bought the brand new gas tank for my 59 Tudor, but at that time, I paid less than $200. for a brand new, shiny, stock looking gas tank. After a while, cleaning out sediment bowls, constantly changing fuel filters clogged with rust, and disassembling carbs to remove crap, gets kinda old.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: 59meteor on 2024-07-09 15:08After having dealing with banged up, and rusty 65 plus year old gas tanks, a couple of times, I will never waste any time or money on them, especially when new tanks are available,

Couldn't agree more!  Money well spent even if it is going to be just a little show/cruise-in type car!  Going out for a little drive just to be dead on the road is not fun!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

chapingo17

I know gas tanks are going for around $320.

59meteor

Quote from: chapingo17 on 2024-07-10 10:04I know gas tanks are going for around $320.
I just checked on the Auto City Classic website, which is where I bought the new gas tank for my 59 from, and they have the price for a new 57/58 passenger car gas listed at $279.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

chapingo17

thomasso

Probably close to 20 yrs ago when I could still see and weld well I cut the top out of my dented tank with a fine saw blade, straightened and cleaned the tank and wire welded the top back in. Being sure to seal the weld with wicking Locktite.  I'm really cheap.  Tom.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

Ford Blue blood

The tank in my 36 (built in 76 - 80) was dented really bad due to forklift handling.  Used air to "pop" it back out along with a little body hammer persuasion to get close to the shape it should be.  The process opened up a little leak in the seam.  Eastwood tank sealer was the only thing available at that time.  Still in the tank.  Had a new tank or even a close replacement been available it would have been installed vice the way I had to go!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

chapingo17

Update I was able to repair gas tank with JB weld two part epoxy is holding so far. Not sure for how long

abe_lugo

80.00 dollar new coupe tank in the craigslist, seems like a good deal :icon_cyclops_ani:
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008