News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Painting centers of dogdish hubcaps

Started by cos, 2024-06-28 08:46

Previous topic - Next topic

cos

Hello Members  Searched for advice for repainting centers of 10 1/2 hubcaps will no success. Anyone have any advice or thoughts/ Thanks

Jeff Norwell

Get a local sign or pinstriper to handle that Job..... that's what I did.

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

djfordmanjack

or you can mask and spray paint the whole ring center section and wipe off the raised letters with a rag and paint thinner. I believe that's how it was done back then.

abe_lugo

It might have been some sort of squeegee, that pull the paint from the high letters, also note that that paint is not an enamel, it was a very soft probably water based paint,  I was cleaning some swap find caps with a light cleaner and wiped off the paint/rust accidentally, so I'll have to be doing the same on e some too.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

petew

Some masking tape , a sharp razor blade or utility knife, some patience and a rattle can of ivory white paint.
Did mine that way and it went quite easily , oh a comfortable chair and some music will help !

After you do one you will get the rhythm .

59meteor

When I worked at a tire store many years ago, I remember using grease or vaseline as a masking cover, when we painted aluminum wheels between the spokes. Easy to remove with a paper towel or rag after the paint dried.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

cos

Hello  Thanks for suggestions, I got one painted, tried  all ways mentioned above.  Only way that worked for me was to mask off cone and outer ring where painted area ends. Paint everything in center section, let it dry so paint is still little soft. Used a pencil type holder with a flat 1/4 inch wide razor knife to remove paint for raised ford letters. If paint is too soft, scraping will stick to other painted parts. It is a PIA but only way I found that works for me.  I believe original they were silk screen painted. Be interesting to know how other repros are done.

BP57CUSTOM

Not to hijack the discussion, but does anyone have any suggestions for putting the dogdish hubcaps back on the wheels. I really beat my hands up putting my hubcaps back on. Thanks
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

mustang6984

I worked in a tire shop plus who knows how many gas stations.
We always used a rubber mallet. On really nice sets we also would hold an old kitchen bath-towel folded a couple of times. Whack them and they pop on.
I have one in my tool box to this day.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

KYBlueOval

terry_208

I can put my caps on but the hard part is taking them off without damaging the finish on my wheels.
Terry

abe_lugo

I bought one of these, but the from original brand, usually a red handle
https://www.amazon.com/Steelman-75031-Hub-Cap-Remover/dp/B00GWFOSBY

you can add some foam or tape or a towel to protect stuff, also lightly hit to start the cap.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

mustang6984

Quote from: abe_lugo on 2024-07-12 12:44I bought one of these, but the from original brand, usually a red handle
https://www.amazon.com/Steelman-75031-Hub-Cap-Remover/dp/B00GWFOSBY

you can add some foam or tape or a towel to protect stuff, also lightly hit to start the cap.

Yep...we used that type in the tire shop, just a regular rubber hammer in the gas stations.
I like the one you showed best. Much safer way to take off the caps and full wheel covers with control so as to not mar them.
Good price too.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

BP57CUSTOM

Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

rmk57

I wonder if they used some kind of a stencil to paint the centres? Whatever the process was it would have to be an efficient way to paint hundreds of thousands of hubcaps through the years.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429