News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Floor pan repair

Started by moostang, 2024-07-17 05:48

Previous topic - Next topic

moostang

I recently started on my project that I have had for a long time, now that I have the space to work on it. It's going to be a budget build and just a fun driver. I was wondering if patching the floors with aluminum would work. I have access to damaged street signs that are nice aluminum panels but was wondering about the reaction between the aluminum and steel floor. Could I put a coating of some sort between the two? Thanks for any advice.

Ford Blue blood

It was done that way years ago (old license plates), no reason you can't do it that way now.  Sheet metal screws were used to hold them down with roofing cement to seal them up......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

cos

waste of time. No good way to attach Al to steel.

thomasso

Had good lasting results on work trucks over the years with fiberglass cloth and POR 15, resin won't stick but POR 15 sure does and is bulletproof. Tom.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

moostang

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2024-07-17 07:15It was done that way years ago (old license plates), no reason you can't do it that way now.  Sheet metal screws were used to hold them down with roofing cement to seal them up......
That's a good idea. Don't know why I didn't think of roofing sealer.

moostang

Quote from: thomasso on 2024-07-17 13:04Had good lasting results on work trucks over the years with fiberglass cloth and POR 15, resin won't stick but POR 15 sure does and is bulletproof. Tom.
I have heard good things about POR 15. I was thinking about using it on my frame.