News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

FoMoCo's MEL engines

Started by terry_208, 2024-08-14 00:51

Previous topic - Next topic

terry_208

What, if anything, on the MEL engines is inter-changeable with the FE series?
Terry

abe_lugo

Correct me if I'm wrong but fuel pumps?
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

lalessi1

Almost nothing, fuel pumps perhaps. The MEL engines had flat cylinder heads and a 10 degree (off 90) cut on the blocks to make the combustion chambers. They did use shaft mounted rocker arms but the valves were in a different order. They were also much heavier.
Lynn

terry_208

So not much advantage of running a 462 cu MEL, other than the cu?  It seems like parts May be hard to come by.

Outwardly, do they appear to be an FE?
Terry

lalessi1

They are larger and heavier. I don't think they would be confused for an FE. I think the FE's are more readily available and are better supported in the aftermarket industry. No reason to use one IMHO unless you found a recently reliably rebuilt one for cheap. They are a bolt-in with the right parts (I think) but you'd have to find an Edsel with one for the parts. They weren't available in the base Edsels, they used the FE's. Only the more expensive models had the MEL engine.
Lynn

terry_208

I ask all these questions because one is currently advertised on fb marketplace, Boise.   

Thanks to everyone for the replies and information!
Terry

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: abe_lugo on 2024-08-14 00:58Correct me if I'm wrong but fuel pumps?

I think the MEL pump is located above the water pump.......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

abe_lugo

Quote from: abe_lugo on 2024-08-14 00:58Correct me if I'm wrong but fuel pumps?
Maybe mixing up FE engines with the MELs
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

Lou

The 368 MEL IS a great engine for towing, a friend of mine had a 368 in his 57 Ranchero.