News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Strange windshield wiper problem

Started by RICH MUISE, 2010-03-29 09:31

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I finally got out to a wrecking yard to relook at the 96 mustang wiper setup yesterday, and the mustang wiper motor actually has 6 wires going to it. This may be due the number of intermittent speed choices, but that's just a guess. Does that info change any of the suggestions given in above posts by Bill (FordBlueBlood)
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Rich I'll have to look at a schematic to figure the hook up.  Might be the one I have from my 90 T-Bird SC will give me an idea.  I'll check it out and get back to you.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

I'm still persuing the idea of adapting the 96 Mustang wiper system so I can just plug it into my 96 Mustang steering wheel. I need to compare the angle of sweep on the two cars to make sure they are close enough. If anyone out there with an up and running 57 could measure the angle of sweep for me I'd sure appreciate it. I measured the sweep angle on a Mustang yesterday..used a clear protractor, lined up the bottom of the arm with 0 on the protractor with the center of protractor eyeballed on center of wiper pivot, and had the lady turn on the wipers.(Mustang was about 73 degrees). Also, if you could, check to see if both sides have the same sweep angle. Thanks...Rich

RICH MUISE

ok, this is what I ended up with and it's working out great. i opted for the 97 Mustang wiper motor to match up with the 97 Mustang steering wheel/wiper switch. As Bill said,I also got the wiper control module and of course the pivot/linkage assy. I mounted the motor inside the cowl under the drainage channel with the motor shaft coming up thru the channel. I removed the pulley system from the 57 pivots/bezels and cut off the excess casting and attached the mustang solid bar that connects the linkage to the pivot. (The knurled head that clocks the wiper blades goes all the way thru the casting and presses into the pully).I simply replaced the pully with the bar. I then cut the too-short mustang u shaped linkage in the middle and welded 1/4-20 s.s. nuts on where they were cut and used all-thread to make and adjust the length(the inside dimension of the u-shaped linkage is 1/4" so the all-thread just fits in snugly)and connected the linkage from motor to the drivers side pivot
The  bar that connects the linkage to the motor is shorter than the bar that connects the linkage to the pivots, so the fact that the motor rotates 360 is ok, because the motor will pass its crest and start going back before the pivot gets to it's crest.
The next thing to do is to connect linkage from the left pivot to the right pivot, however it can't be direct, as on the Mustang, because the 57's rotate from the outside inward on both sides. This will be corrected by using a bar,somewhere in the middle, also longer than the motor bar,which pivots in the middle, and the linkages connected on opposite ends. This will reverse the direction of the linkage from push to pull.
The angle of sweep I was asking about last week can be adjusted by altering the length of the bars that connect the linkage to the motor and/or pivots
This is the point I was at last week when I got my finger caught in a hydralic clamp at work and striiped the flesh of the end of a finger. Had surgery yesterday to repair, and hopefully will be back at it in a week or so. only so much you can do with one hand in a splint.

RICH MUISE

Also...I got all of the electrical diagrams for the circuitry as well as connector pin charts for the switch,control module, and motor. I talked to Ron Francis Wiring to reconfirm that I had everything I need and it was doable and it seems like it's now a no problem project. He said they normally just supply a power wire for the wipers, but they could make me a mini harness using the old connectors.
Working this out also gets me windshield washer switch, hazzard switch, turn signals, and hi/lo beam headlight switch which are all on the same unit. :burnout: armadillo:

RICH MUISE

Still have a splint on left hand, but was able to finally get some work done on the wiper system. My wife bought me a new cannon sx20is to replace the one that got stolen a few months ago...so I got pics...

RICH MUISE

first pic shows modified drain channel and "direction-changer" pivot bar welded to cowl. wiper motor will be accessable from under dash...a pain in the butt but (butt but???)I'd rather that than not having a smooth firewall. wiper pivot is the modified 57 with all the pulley crap cut off

RICH MUISE

Got it all in and tweeked yesterday. Everything was pretty close as I had it, but "close" wasn't working! almost everything had to be moved up, down in or out a 1/16th or so. Biggest problem was with the drivers side pivot because it's tucked up so close to the corner of the cowl, it was difficult getting the 110 degree or so sweep without banging the pivot bar against the cowl on both sides, but I got it. One advantage I got cutting the big hole in the firewall to facilitate the instalation was that it also gave me access to 100% of the inside cowl areas I couldn't reach before for rust treatment and old caulking removal...and that's been my project today...need to get done so I can por15 and recaulk and start welding up all my unused firewall holes....rich

RICH MUISE

gettin' her done...inside cowl all sealed,caulked por-15'd and undercoated. Outside of firewall has all holes and cavities welded flush with sheetmetal, smoothed and epoxy primed. Next weekend I'll get a few coats of high-build on it to fill sanding scratches, at the same time I put a final coat of high build on the drivers side rear quarter.This just leaves me with the hood, trunk lid, and drivers front fender and she's ready for paint. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter!!!
Question for Bill (Ford Blue Blood) or anyone else that may know the answer...I suspect I will have to re-time the park position of the wiper arms by altering the arm that is attached to the wiper motor. I didn't think to look at the position of the arm when I pulled it from the mustang(was more than likely in park position). Is there an easier way to do it...such as with the electronics?

Ford Blue blood

Rich check your PM's.  Do not have the difinitive answer you are looking for, I believe the park function is mechanical and you may have to "play" with the timing.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Some aluminum channel I'm playing with to further clean up the firewall. It'll hid the ugly spotwelded rib and may even give me a place to run a few wires. If it works out, I'll sand the iridite finish off and polish it, and add a strip along the front to cover the detents formed into the channel. I had been looking for an extrusion for a few weeks with no luck. I was at Harbor freight passing by the clamps when a 60" bar clamp caught my eye. I now have a 12" bar clamp and an extrusion for my car for $13. I was hoping to find a nicely rounded shape, but this will work if I have room when the engine goes in.