News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 Ford Class at Y-Block Shootout

Started by JimNolan, 2011-08-02 16:46

Previous topic - Next topic

F570RD

Hey Shopratwoody,Did you ever think that all that fuel (ie) weight and mass,could be a detriment with flow on acceleration?

JimNolan

James,
    You may be right about the pickup being uncovered. I deliberately left a small amount of gas in the tank to save weight. ( At 17 seconds, why bother ). Anyway, the specs say a stock fuel pump delivers 80 gph of fuel. If you break that down into 1/4 mile time that pump can deliver .377 gallons for every 17 seconds. Even if you restricted the flow to the pump by half, say 40 gph, that would still give you .188 gallons every 17 seconds. The average NASCAR engine fuel consumption is 4.5 mpg. If you break that down into 1/4 mile consumption that .0555 gallons every 1/4 mile. Common sense tells me the restriction in flow (fuel lines ) would be a lot more detrimental to fuel flow than the 80 gph pump. At that a 40 gph fuel pump would deliver 3.3 times the needed fuel for that 17 second run. Am I looking at this right? Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

JPotter57

The fuel pumps are rated at free flow,  that is, flow through the pump unimpeded into a bucket.  Pumping into a carb with twin needle/seats for the floats, and into the engine to be burned will be significantly lower, but yes, the stock pump should be more than adequate at that level, even down to maybe 13-14 secs.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

shopratwoody

Quote from: F570RD on 2011-08-18 14:14
Hey Shopratwoody,Did you ever think that all that fuel (ie) weight and mass,could be a detriment with flow on acceleration?
Had BIG pumps :003:
I hate blocksanding!

JimNolan

I went out to the hanger this morning and installed the Edelbrock 110 gph fuel pump with 3/8" lines going to the carb. The Edelbrock fuel pump had the outlet directly underneath the power steering pump so the diaphram had to be disassembled and turned so the outlet would be straight out. THEN, the inlet was facing into the oil filter assembley. I had to use a 90 degree elbow fitting on the inlet side of the pump. So, gas going into the pump has to go through a 90 degree fitting. Why does this s _ _ _  always seem to happen to me. Tonight I'm going back out there and and figure something else out. I don't like it and it ain't going to stay that way. Jim    PS I need a nap.

RICH MUISE

S---happening to you?...I thought I had a corner on that market.  LOL...have a good nap...I'm headin' for mine.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

shopratwoody

I hate blocksanding!

JimNolan

I fixed the problem. It's better than what it was before I changed pumps. I have a straight shot into the pump now. Jim

JPotter57

1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.