News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 Ford Class at Y-Block Shootout

Started by JimNolan, 2011-08-02 16:46

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Alright Guys I've got some questions. 1. Do you have to use only water in the radiator to race. 2. Do you need a helmet if you're car doesn't run below 14-15 sec. 3. I've got Tri-Bar spinner caps on my Cragar SS's. Will those have to be taken off. 4. Does the windows have to be rolled up while racing. 5. Is two springs on the carb a must. ----------I've got a metal gas line to the carb, a 2 quart overflow and a seat belt.
   The last time I was there I didn't race so I put the car in the car show. Didn't get a trophy though. I took Second Place in my class but I was watching you guys race from the Grandstands and missed the Awards presentation. If I don't race I'll put the car in the show and I expect to miss the Awards presentation again this year. ( It's a better place to park your car. ) Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

wv 57s forever

1. water or anti no matter
2.helmet, best to have one but cant rember
3.wait for tech to tell you.
4.windows up a must.
5. yes two springs.
6.ruber ok as long as it is under 6 inches around carb.
7.overflow a must.
8.seat belt a must.
hope this helps and hope to race ya
:burnout:

wildhog

Jim, At the shoot out we had in Byron, an nhra track, we were told olny water in the radiator, as not to grease the track in case of an engine failer. Tom
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

Hoosier Hurricane

Jim:

Come to the awards banquet, even if you don't race.  You pay for your own meal, and have a great evening of comaradarie.

John

JimNolan

Where can I get a list of the event's. Like the awards banquit. I'm reading the tips on drag racing on the y block website. The fact that this is a big event is scary in itself. Jim

Hoosier Hurricane

Jim:

Bob Martin had some info in the latest Y Block Magazine concerning the Y blocker schedules, and if you join Tom's '57 group, the events will pretty much be parallel.  I don't know if Bob has posted that info on the Y website, but if he hasn't, send me a mailing address and I'll copy the info and send it to you.  There is also a link to the NMRA flyer for the event on the Y site.  Hope to see you there.

John

JimNolan

John,
   I'm going to bust my ass to get this work done to the car next week. I'm planning on running my car at the meet. What can they do if I screw up. They won't eat me, I'll make them sick if they do. My address is
Jim Nolan
1727 S. Briarwood Dr.
Warsaw, In  46580
   I want to know as much as I can because when I go over there I don't want to depend on everyone to lead me by the hand. That would be humiliating to me. Thanks, Jim  PS. I'll look through the places you mentioned.

JimNolan

Well, I got a room at the Red Roof Inn. I'll get there Thursday night. The reason I went there was because of Buffy ( ten pound poddle ). Besides, it's three minutes away from the strip and when I blow up my car I won't have far to walk. I'm planning on being there at 8:00 Friday morning to get set up, go through inspection and see if I can keep my car in a straight line for a quarter mile. The last time I was on the drag strip was down at Gulfport where I proceeded to tear the sycronizer out of my T85 and I had to drive it 1000 mles back home that way. Hopefully it'll go better this time with the Tremec. Jim

JPotter57

You wont tear up the tremec..I'd be more concerned about the u-joints than the trans.  Of course, if you're not running slicks, I wouldnt worry about it.  Just feather the clutch and throttle to get it rolling without spinning too much then mat it.  Put a pair of 27X8 cheater slicks in the trunk and come on.  I wish I could play this year, but at least I'll get to watch and hang out.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Hoosier Hurricane

Jim:

Being a street car, I think you'll find that tech isn't too tough.  They'll look for a secure battery hold down. a puke can, and seat belt.  Your Cragar spinners will be no problem because they're bolt ons.  If they find something they don't like and it isn't easy to fix there, they will probably just tell you to have it fixed before you run at their track again.  They are not in the business of running racers off, they want your money.  I think the limit for required helmets is 13.99 and quicker, so if you tell tech it is slower than that, you'll be OK without it.  Not that a helmet is a bad idea in any racing car.  I'll put the copies of Bob's article in the morning mail.

John

JimNolan

Thanks John,
    Today I re-welded my slapper bars to enable them to come within less than an inch away from the spring eye. It's right up against the bottom of the spring perch. When sitting on the ground the rubber bumper is 1 3/8 away from the spring. I'm going to make spacers to go under the rubber bumper to bring it closer when I'm drag racing. How close would you have the bumpers to the spring when racing. Someone mentioned 1/2" I thought. Memory lapses. If everything goes OK I think I'll tackle the headers next. Jim

shopratwoody

I think 1/2" would work or tighter. I guess you don't need a driveshaft loop. I raced a lot
of All Ford events. It's basically a big bracket race for what ever div your in. Always set
the car up to NHRA rules and you'll never have a problem. Have fun and kick some ass.
I miss it :004:
I hate blocksanding!

suede57ford

Make sure your Helmet is in date.   I brought a vintage helmet once and they did not like it, fortunately I had another current one to pass tech with.

Be polite to the people doing the tech, that may make the difference in the end.

Thanks for going every extra car adds to the event.   It is a great race, and awesome to meet the people who you read about and talk to online.  My wife didn't understand why I would travel so far until she meet everybody.

Make sure and go to the evening awards dinner and hang out with the Y-Block group, they are a really great group of people.  Bob Martin keeps everything organized and recorded.

Pat

57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

Jeff Norwell

Sounds like a killer event..I sure would like to go one year... getting real tired of any NSRA Easter Egg events..........
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com