News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

FPA Headers

Started by JimNolan, 2011-07-28 07:43

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Bob,
 I can't wait to get to the Y-Block meet. I've been there about three times but didn't race. I don't think I'll set the track on fire ( hope not ) but I think it'll be fun just knowing you're doing it with the guys you talk to all the time on this website. Jim PS. I'm glad we have the Ford Nationals, Y-Block Shootout and Gulfport within 1000 miles.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

wildhog

James, The late checker Marathons had C+*#Y motors in them. Are you coming to the Shoot out for Sure? Do you still need a front seat frame? Let me Know. Tom
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

JPotter57

Yes I am coming up and yes I still need the seat frame.  Do you have a useable one?  There is nothing down here...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JimNolan

UPDATE:
   I went out this morning and took the passenger side exhaust manifold off. The exhaust pipe took two hours of man handling to get off. (I don't want to talk about this so don't ask. Just know it didn't go well when trying to preserve this piece). I then cleaned the head surface and tried to install the header. You can't get it on from the top. You can't get it on from the bottom. You can't get it on unless the engine is jacked up or the head is off. I loosened the motor mounts and proceded to jack up the motor. It wouldn't raise far enough. I'd forgot that the top of the Tremec is 1/4" from the floor and to get the motor out the transmission has to be taken out first.
    I then reinstalled the old manifold. It took two more hours just trying to reinstall the exhaust pipe ( that I had preserved, thank God). (I don't want to talk about this piece so don't ask. Just know it didn't go well). I will be investing in a exhaust pipe expander even if I only use it once. I did find out that this isn't a weekend project for an overweight 63 year old. I may not be able to move tomorrow. Jim PS  Time spent to accomplish nothing = 8 hrs.

Dakota

Wow...  i always wondered by looking at them how in the hell they would install.  engine must be jacked up or installed with them on it.

interesting.  Youd think that they would mention this somewhere when you bought them.
Hot Rodders are the True Artists, Restorers just paint by number. ~ Luanne Rosenow

JimNolan

Dakota,
   I hope I didn't give the wrong impression with my last post. I was just letting everyone know there's more to it than just dropping them in. I wasn't complaining about the headers, I was just giving my experience trying to install them. I promised Stan Johnson I'd not say one disperaging word about the headers unless he couldn't correct any problem I might have with them. I haven't got a problem with them yet. Stan's probably spent a lot of time and work making these headers for us. Just because you can't drop them in doesn't put a blemish on them. they're super nice headers. Stan spent 30 minutes telling me of the problems I would have with the clutch linkage and how to fix that. Raising the engine to install the headers is normally an easy task and it's a normal task for most header installations from what I've seen. In my case it isn't. I'm just thankful there's someone out there that built these headers for us knowing each customer might have different problems.
   This fall after the Gulf Coast Cruise is over I'll be replacing the heads, cam and intake anyway. I'll install the heads and headers assembled at that time. Jim PS. The funny thing is, this morning when I loosened the first bolt something told me to quit what I was doing and go back home and watch a movie. I didn't listen.

Jeff Norwell

PS. The funny thing is, this morning when I loosened the first bolt something told me to quit what I was doing and go back home and watch a movie. I didn't listen.
[/quote]

Jim.it just was not a shop day is all.
I hear and feel your pain.. sometimes its a good day....for me,most its not! hahahah
Just take your time and set a plan forward.
I got a nasty fuel leak in my hot rod.. and I have been battling it for 2 weeks now..the problem is, it is in  the worst area of the frame of the said vehicle and its a pain to work on your back,upside down.I only have jackstands and no lift.I can only get the damn car so high.and crawling under jack stands makes me nervous.. very nervous. Different vehicle,different problem...same pile of Bull cookies.

I am pulling for ya buddy.
And thanks for the report.Please keep us informed.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: JimNolan on 2011-08-16 18:25
PS  Time spent to accomplish nothing = 8 hrs.

Been there, done that, too many times, whats next.......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

shopratwoody

That all sounds familiar to me also :003:
I hate blocksanding!

wildhog

Well, Jim Iam' sure you don't want me to tell you how easy it was to install the F.P.A. headers on my 57 ragtop 390-c-6 but the whole job took less time , than you spent taking the one manifoild off. This is one job that went easy for me,most are not like that!!! Tom
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

JPotter57

Jim, I told the wife I was gonna tell you, if you fly down here and get me, I'll put `em on for you, lol...JK by the way, but I'd put em on for you though..
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JimNolan

James,
   If I still had my airplane I'd be tickled to death to come get you. When Karen got sick there at the last we sold the airplane so it wouldn't just sit. You can't let an airplane sit. It's not like a car. You can't let moisture form on the inside of the engines. At 30K a pop, it gets expensive replacing them. Jim