News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

parts needed

Started by fordlover84, 2010-12-30 11:00

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Fordlover,
    I went out to the airport to look at my repair manual just to make sure I'm telling you right. The Primary brake shoe (small, less lining) goes in front. The secondary brake shoe (large, more lining) goes in back. Apparently the small shoe hits the drum first and if you push the brake pedal further the back shoe hits the drum also. I had my car pull to right one time and found I'd put the large shoe in front on that side. Makes a difference. Jim

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

fordlover84

How do you press lower a frame bushings in

RICH MUISE

fordlover..I used 1/2 threaded rod with some nuts and washers and 2 sockets from a cheap 3/4" socket set. One socket to hit the arm on the oposite surface from the bushing larger than the hole in the arm, and the other socket to fit the flange on the bushing. I used a threaded rod long enough to go thru the hole on the oposite side of the arm just to roughly eyeball that I was starting it straight. I thought about using a press...but with the threaded rod, you don't need any elaborate setups that would allow you to put enough force on the bushing to press in, without posibly distorting the control arm. worked great.
I've got a pic somewhere in my archives if I'm not explaining it well enough.
Don't forget, the bushing flanges are on the inside of the lower arms, and there are raised bosses on the bushing sleeve to control the proper depth.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

fordlover84

How do you remove the steering column on a 1957 fairlane?

RICH MUISE

what it is you are trying to do exactly...leave the steering box in and just remove the column? It's been a while since I disassembled mine, but I do believe the column has to come out thru the interior. There's a very large sheetmetal cover around the column that covers a hole probably large enough to even bring the box thru if you want to get it out in one piece.

Ford Blue blood

Yes the whole thing will come out thru the hole in the floor.  There are 10 - 12 screws that hold a large two piece cover that allows the steering box to come thru the floor.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

fordlover84

does anyone know where i can find the rubber mounts for the core support and inner fenders for my 1957 fairlane 500

RICH MUISE

Dennis Carpenter, concourse,or classic auto should all have them..try I'd try Carpenter's first. websites are listed in our links section for all of them.   Rich

fordlover84

can someone also tell me where (or the best place) to buy aftermarket steering columns for my 57 fairlane 500

RICH MUISE

You may want to look backwards on this one. Flamming river and Ididit both have good products...but I'm assuming since you're looking for an aftermarket column..you're also going to be looking at steering wheels. Before I opted to fit a late model factory wheel/column  to my car, I had decided on Flamming River because they were the ones that had a wheel that I liked best. just mho   Rich