News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Custom 300 weight

Started by chero69gt, 2012-10-26 17:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

A fellow street rodder put a 98 LSC and auto in his 46 Continental (3650 lbs) and it was really quick.  He ran a 3:23 8", gave 25 MPG at 70 all day long.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

57dohc

Like Rich, I got kinda of excited about this weight post. Looking at my donor car (2004 Mach 1) sitting next to the 57, it doesn't seem possible they are about the same weight.  The Mustang seems much smaller in size but recorded 3465 lbs with 100 lbs less in engine weight.  The excitement factor comes in when that car was tested by Muscle Car it recorded a 4.7 0-60 time and a 13.2 @106.7 in the quarter.  Now if I can only get that engine in and running!

gasman826

Isn't that something!!!!!!  50 years of technology and a smaller, newer car weighs as much or more than an old car.  '57s had no aluminum, very, very little plastic, and no high tensile steel (that's right no plastic trim, no aluminum moldings...everything is steel).  A full frame to boot.  I will give credit to late model construction when it comes to crash safety and comfort items.  Late models have way too many comfort items!  Power lumbar and heated seats may be one thing, but power adjustable pedals, rain sensing wipers, and hands free parking are increasing the complexity, weight, and cost of late models.  Even with plastic dashes, bumper covers, Styrofoam sub bumpers and lots of aluminum, late models are weight hogs.  Who needs a power butt wiper anyway!!!!!

Ford Blue blood

As they say....if you are over 60 never trust a fart! So a power butt wiper might not be too bad an idea..... :003:
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

JPotter57

1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

RICH MUISE

"no aluminum trim"....got me to thinking about the door sill plates which are now made from aluminum, but I remember years ago  pulling off the old corroded ones in pieces. Where the originals made from steel? Also I assume the side trim inside the stainless strips have always been aluminum.
The early 50's had to have been the era aluminum was just starting to be used big time for just about anything. I can remember as a very young boy listening to a conversation my dad and uncle were having about somebody somewhere having figured out how to weld aluminum.The conversation went something like..."wouldn't that be something if they could weld aluminum!! just imagine what they could do"
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Rich Olds and Buick had aluminum sill plates in 1940, couldn't tell you if my 36 Chevy had them or not, the area they would have attached to was gone when I found the car.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero