News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Engine colour?

Started by Limey57, 2013-02-05 16:32

Previous topic - Next topic

lowrider

Quote from: 57 Ford Kustom on 2013-02-07 04:59
Tom,   
   That oiler looks Hi Tech! I remember as a Kid my Dad would cut strips of a wood blanket, soak them in oil and lay them over the valves! LOl
Tim :unitedstates:

I recall watching my Dad working on a 'squeaky" yblock rocker arm problem that needed an overhead oiler but the customer didnt have the money for the repair. I watched him take handfuls of grease (real grease, not that thin stuff they sell today) and pack both rocker assys with it. Car left quiet but I dont think it lasted too long.

The orange color was used 55-57. I see descriptions all over the board on that color. The colors differ as much as the description of them. I use paint from Mac's on mine. Curiously, if you peel back the Mac's sticker on the can it says Mopar orange. It seems to come the closest to what I recall so I'll stick with it. The "Ford red" seems too red to me.

gasman826

...asking a lot from my memory!  My Dad bought my '57 new with a 272.  I remember the color being more red than the orange in the previous post.  We had Ford tractors and other Ford farm equipment and the accent color was a red that was very similar to the '57's engine color.  I use Ford implement red on my frame.  The picture shows how orange the implement red is against the red of the Lakewood bellhousing.

Tom S

Quote from: 57 Ford Kustom on 2013-02-07 04:59Tom,  That oiler looks Hi Tech!
Wood?     You mean wool blankets?   Laying on the rocker arm shaft?     I can just see that getting tangled up in the rockers.   Never heard of anyone doing that.
Those oiler kits sucked, especially so if someone didn?t do a good job of installing them in the first place.  Even then they still sucked & I am not the only one that thinks so.  The little copper lines would leak at the connections & they would also break & squirt lots of oil all over & empty the oil pan in short order.

There was one on a 57 Ranchero I had for a while as a kid.  That oiler thing was a constant problem.  Never was able or had the means to get it fixed right & never had anyone to help with it.
Car was eventually got totaled.    Always had problems with it & it was a rust bucket covered with bondo & some fresh paint.  Guess I was a just a kid blinded by the flash.  Looked for another 57 Ranchero here for the next 49 years.
Always had all kinds of big troubles with any white car since & now avoid them like the plague.

Tom S

Quote from: gasman826 on 2013-02-07 08:34I remember the color being more red than the orange in the previous post.
I agree, more red than orange.  Not nearly as red as the red in your pix though! I can't really see any difference between the frame & the bellhousing.
That's a damn nice frame!

RICH MUISE

Probably a difference in monitors. I can see the difference quite clearly on mine.
Tom....cute blond!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57 Ford Kustom

Wood, wool, whats the difference, both keep you warm! But not as warm as that Blonde Tom!!! :003:
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

robhaerr

I used Duplicolor Engine Enamel Ford Red (DE 1605 Ford Red) on Project 302.

Rob

gasman826

hiball3985

They were red from the factory with black valve covers. I think after time and heat they turned a little towards the orange side but not as orange as a Cheby. I've seen a lot with the overhead oiler kits, those things suck, they were a cheap easy mess. I've had fair success getting some of them to oil again and removed the kits..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Limey57

As always, thanks folks.
Gary

1957 Ranchero