News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

what is the largest 15" tire that will fit on a 57 Ford?

Started by Hi Skool Hairy, 2012-10-30 10:28

Previous topic - Next topic

57AGIN

Rich:

No, the photographer was me.  However the PhotoShop was done by the guy that did my storyboard & show display stand.  He lives up in Northern California and obviously knows how to use many of the amazing features in the PhotoShop program.  I've had many favorable comments on both the storyboard and show display stand.  One of the nicest things with the show display stand is that one of the tires sets on the base of the stand so not only is it not affected by the wind, as are storyboards mounted on easels, but spectators can't lean on the fender where the stand is. lol

Bob
57 AGIN

gasman826

Long ways from the original post about 'tire size'. 
Isn't it a sad state when you have to guard your car from those too ignorant, or worse, disrespectful of others stuff.  You see it all the time...parents not teaching their children.  Even if they are someone else's children, all adults have a responsibility...a duty...to the next generation to teach them to keep their damn hands off other peoples stuff.  It is REALLY unfortunate when those children, by other measures, are considered adults!!!

JPotter57

I have a pair of 275 60 15 on back of mine right now, on a Dodge 15X7 cop car wheel, they fit ok, but if they had about another 1/2" or so backspacing, like the Ford Boss 302 Mustang wheel, it would be perfect.  I have a pair of 15X8 steelies that I built a while back that have 5 1/8 backspacing, they look ok on it.  I plan to buy a pair of 15X7 chrome reverse for the rear of mine soon, to go with either a pair of Raders or Rocket Strikes on the front.  For normal street driving, I have a pair of rare station wagon 15  x 6 1/2 inches for the rear with 235 70 15, and a rare pair  of 15 X 5 for the front with some 215 70 15s, topped with my stock 57 dog dish hubcaps.  Can't wait.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Hi Skool Hairy

I was told that 215/ 70 or 75/ 15 would work ok with I think 6" wide rims, will check this one out this week.
Seems Ford had 5",a 5 1/2" & a 6" (3) different widths of rims some must have been for customs, station wagons, or convertibles.

RICH MUISE

Good info on the tire sizes
Bob..that storyboard and stand are first class...wouldn't expect anything less from you.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

jrw429

From what I can gather, I think for '57 Ford had 14"x5" wheels with 5x4.5" bolt circles for all passenger cars, with the exception of station wagons and retractables, which had 5.5" wide wheels. I've not seen mention of stock 6" wide wheels for '57 - but I'm no expert!

rmk57

M&H racemaster has vintage style slicks out that may be worth a look
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

JPotter57

All 57 car wheels were 14s. My wheels came from mid to late 60s cars.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

SkylinerRon

BTW-  57's came with 2.25" www.  Just fyi
Have H78x15" w/K-H  Argent silver wires on my Skyliner.

Ron.