News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Fairlane Headliner Install

Started by chapingo17, 2016-11-27 18:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: chapingo17 on 2016-11-28 21:58
These are great pictures I appreciate the time you took to take these pics. On my 57 Fairlane is going to be a little bit more difficult because both front and rear windshields are installed. Does the headliner needs to be supported by the rear windshield rubber gasket/seal? I will try to install mine this week.

No, there is a staple strip on the front but the rear is a different picture.  No place to fasten the end of it to.  Ford folded and glued it to the pinch weld for the window rubber.  Both the Ranchero and the 58 Edsel had the front glued to the pinch weld as well.  Your best bet will be to pull both windows to "get it right".
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

I never saw Chap's question...sorry about that. Bill is correct. Not what you want to hear, but doing the headliner with the front and back glass in would be almost imposible IF you're wanting a job well done. Note the pic I posted clamping and then gluing to the pinchweld in the back that Bill mentioned. True, the front doesn't need to go around the pinchweld as it does in the back, but it can, and I would think as difficult as it is to get a good looking job done with the glass out, I'd be real reluctant to attempt it with the front glass in, and definetly would not with the back glass in.
Seems like a year or so ago someone was going to try it, but I never saw any follow up.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

What Rich stated is true about having the front and rear windshield out of the car....    Look at Rich's pictures and see the clamps on the pinch welds.   When I get the headliners where I want them. I glue them to the pinch welds.  After that is all done I reinstall the front and rear glass.   Not taking them out is probably what you would get at a quickie headliner installation shop where they tuck the edge of the glass in under the windshield rubbers.