News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

E Code vac and fuel lines.

Started by Ecode70D, 2017-06-02 15:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

HA...Jim
    I was just about to send you an mail and ask you that question about the vacuum advance  loop on the dual quad setup, but you beat me to it.
    Thank you ...You just reminded me about the pre 57  setup with that crazy
Load A Matic .   I have to keep that in mind when I get enough parts to rebuild and start swapping them out with my existing carburetors.
     We have a lot of real smart guys on this site and someone knows the answer to that loop question.  It has thrown me for a loop also, however I do intend to do it when I find some teapots to rebuild.     

hiball3985

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2017-06-03 08:53
HA...Jim
    I was just about to send you an mail and ask you that question about the vacuum advance  loop on the dual quad setup, but you beat me to it.
    Thank you ...You just reminded me about the pre 57  setup with that crazy
Load A Matic .   I have to keep that in mind when I get enough parts to rebuild and start swapping them out with my existing carburetors.
     We have a lot of real smart guys on this site and someone knows the answer to that loop question.  It has thrown me for a loop also, however I do intend to do it when I find some teapots to rebuild.     
Good luck Jay, the 57 teapots or at least the rear one was a one year only model ported for the 57 vacuum advance that I can remember.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

Quote from: thomasso on 2017-06-03 08:38
I don,t think the indent in your air cleaner is for the vacuum adv. line, but rather for oil cap clearance.  As you can see the adv. line is further back and is attached to the rear carb.  Could your air cleaner be a 56 or perhaps Mercury?  As I said mine does not have that indention.
There seems to be a big difference in the height of the body between yours and Jays also.
I just noticed what appears to be an OD relay on your firewall, too cool. Beautiful car.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Jim
    Maybe  the height difference on mine is because when I purchased my air cleaner, the stock base piece did not fit the WCFB carbs.  I stored my stock base piece  away and made one to fit, thereby altering the height in order to be able to close the hood.  When It goes together with the Ford carbs, everything should hopefully be the right height.
     You have sharp eyes.  Now I see the cool OD relay on Thomiso's firewall.

Jay

Ecode70D

Quote from: thomasso on 2017-06-03 08:38
I don,t think the indent in your air cleaner is for the vacuum adv. line, but rather for oil cap clearance.  As you can see the adv. line is further back and is attached to the rear carb.  Could your air cleaner be a 56 or perhaps Mercury?  As I said mine does not have that indention.

Thomaso
     I bought my air cleaner as a 57 Ford, but who knows what model it could  have been made for.   I have been told that mine might have been an over the counter purchase because there is no trace of the Argent color which it will be eventually.  I'm still learning about these things. 

thomasso

Yes.  T85 with R11 OD and 4:11 rear.  Really sounds good with low gearing.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

John Palmer

I'll offer an idea about the reason for the "raised loop" in the carb/distributor vacuum line.  This design was common on many Ford V8's during the 1950's and early 60's, while they still used steel vacuum lines.  I was always told it helped prevent gas from backing up into the distributor diaphragm.  It just offered a trap, like in your sink trap.

That said, I have also discovered many Fords that had the distributor hold down springs stretched to the point of not holding the distributor cap on tight.  What happens is the vacuum advance goes bad (gets a hole), and the gas/vapor backs up into the distributor and gets ignited by the points spark.  The small explosion raises the cap, and stretches the hold down springs.  Eventually, it comes into the repair shop "on the hook", with a broken rotor and/or distributor cap.

So, the raised loop works only if the vacuum advance is still good.

Ecode70D

John
     That idea sounds pretty good to me.  Jay

lalessi1

It makes sense that the "trap" shape would be for gasoline vapor. Loops like that are common in piping systems to prevent gas flow. That was my best guess.
Lynn

Ecode70D

Lynn
    I'm in agreement with you and John.    That must be the reason that Henry did that loop  thing.

Thomasso
     Back in the 50's and 60's after blowing up countless Ford lightweight transmissions, I found a Borg Warner T85 in a Mercury and installed it in my Ford.  In my my honest opinion they are just unbelievable transmissions, both the regular ones and the overdrive ones.  I used them in plenty of my 50's Fords over the years.   I never blew up another transmission after that.     

thomasso

Yeah.  Wish I had knowledge of T85s in the 50s and60s.  As like you I exhausted the local junk yards of transmissions.  Broke a ton of 3 speeds in my 50 Ford, Ugly ex FBI interceptor car.  Hotter than even most modified flatheads. Finally switched my Buick powered 53 Merc to Lasalle trans.  T85 would have been by far simpler and cheaper as I actually broke a lasalle case and adapting was a problem.  Never had any money.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

Ecode70D

Thomasso
    I went through the LaSalle phase also and found out that those transmissions had the cluster gear very close to the lower case housing.  The smallest piece of something that got between them blew the case open.
     The only good thing that came out of my blowing up so many early Ford Transmissions is that I had
to learn real fast how to rebuild them.  In those days, who had the $20 - $25 every few days to pay the junkyard guy for another one?  I had to carry a spare transmission in my trunk like a spare tire so I could do a swap on the side of the road somewhere with a flashlight in order to get home.  These days, I wouldn't attempt to do that.   

lalessi1

I trashed (13) 3 speeds before buying a T10 4 speed. I could change a 3 speed in about 40 minutes at a cost of $35, the T10 cost $100 back then! BEWARE OF MY OLD MEMORY  :003:
Lynn

Ecode70D

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2017-06-05 08:34
I trashed (13) 3 speeds before buying a T10 4 speed. I could change a 3 speed in about 40 minutes at a cost of $35, the T10 cost $100 back then! BEWARE OF MY OLD MEMORY  :003:

Lynn
    I think that you may have had a lead foot  just like me.  I'm not going to say how many transmissions I blew in my 56 Ford.  I too was quick at replacing them.  I never put the upper left transmission bolt in because it was hard to reach (just used 3 tranny bolts) and instead of using all 6 bolts on the cross member , I just used 4 of them.   I figured that there was no need to have all those bolts in it because I was just going to have to pull it out in a few days anyways. HAHA