Know how many 57 or 58 Fords produced with power brakes AND manual trans?

Started by brushwolf, 2021-06-25 23:15

Previous topic - Next topic

brushwolf

Very snazzy interior there. Sharp!

You modified your brake system to get the pedals even (or they were manual brakes and were even to begin with) and are presumably using a manual brake pedal arm with power assist changes made on the firewall side with the Hydroboost.

But AFAIK Jay is using the original power brake pedal arm and booster, yet both pedals appear very close to the same height (even with the incredibly thick pad on his clutch pedal). If I put that pad on my clutch pedal it would sit so high, I would probably have to move the seat back to operate the clutch.

Is that an optical illusion in Jay's pic, or is that clutch arm different?  And the clutch pedal sits so low that it required that thick pad moving it higher as well?  I had thought about moving the pad out a bit, but the brake pad not the clutch pad...

There has to be more to the story, maybe Jay can provide it.

51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
56 Mercury Montclair 2 dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
57 Chev Bel Air 2 dr hdtp
57 Dodge Custom Royal 2 dr hdtp (factory hemi)
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

Ray

I sent an original manual system to a member a few years ago. They did exist.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

lalessi1

Lynn

Ecode70D

The back part of my Swift Sure pedal is closer to the floor than the clutch pedal.   The bottom edge of the pedals are perfectly even with each other.  These power brake units take up no space under the hood and everything except the vacuum tank is under the dashboard.
   There was no reason for my using the extra thick rubber clutch except that it's a neat conversation piece at car cruises.  They were available  in the 50's and I remember seeing them on Fords and Mercs back in those days.