News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

For That Sound of The 50's and 60's

Started by Bubba, 2010-06-26 10:46

Previous topic - Next topic

BAMA_57

I had a set of those Thrush mufflers on my '70 Mach1 in highschool. I bought them at Western Auto for about $10. I didn't know they would be worth that much or I'd have kept some back. My '57 sounds pretty good but I don't know what's on it. They are not glasspacks or Thrush. I was thinking I'd go back with smitties but not sure at this point. Here is a link to Thrush; http://www.thrushexhaust.com/pdf/Hush.pdf
Ron
'57 Fairlane 500
'69 Boss 302 Mustang
'70 Boss 302 Mustang
'77 F-100 Explorer

Zapato

If you want a 50s/60s sound its not going to happen with Borlas, turbos or flowmasters. No matter how good they sound its never going to be the sound you want. Smitties are available and Porters sound incredible. I'm sure some of the major muffler makers probably still make a good stock muffler that would replicate the OEM sound. But if that truly bitchin sound you remember is what you seek you have to go low-tech and go either glass or steel pack, glass doesn't last long and they just end up getting louder.

Zap- :006:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

JPotter57

I still want some of those old painted Thrush mufflers, would pay $150 or so for a good pair of them, maybe more for some NOS ones.  C'mon people, some of you must have some stashed away out there.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Zapato

Quote from: JPotter57 on 2010-10-22 11:40
I still want some of those old painted Thrush mufflers, .

Have you tried posting a "WANTED" post in the HAMB classifieds? There's got to be a pair out there without the madness of e-bay

Zap-
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

shopratwoody

In the 50's my car had stock stuff as it was a six. In the late
60's it got it's first 427 and glasspacks. (30 in). Early 70's it
got a 335 horse 390 with 30 in glasspacks and the large tapered
side exhaust in front of the rear tires. About 75 it got another 427
and went drag racing. Had custom headers and H-pipe and turbos
for the street. Next was 3" pipe and 3" flowmasters. Now it's 2 1/2"
pipe and flowmasters with FPA shorties. With the size of the engine
I like the performance sound. For the 50's definetly steel packs here
and glasspacks for the 60's I think. Muscle cars, Walkers with
headers was good. IMO
I hate blocksanding!

rmk57

Quote from: JPotter57 on 2010-06-27 23:12
no, this is the ones I had and want again...The blue and white ones with the bird...
In 1969 I talked my dad into buying one for his California Special. He put it on, ran it for 6 months or so and couldn't put up with the racket.
It was a 302 2bbl but when he let of the throttle going downhill and it would rattle and pop I thought that was the coolest sound ever. I was
twelve years old at the time.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429