News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Considering RePopping Radiator Spring

Started by lalessi1, 2015-06-04 07:59

Previous topic - Next topic

SkylinerRon

This spring was discontinued and out of the MPC before the 1964 edition.
Also doesn't show in the 60-64 MPC.
Illustration book shows the group number is 16648 w/ the big disco star next to it.

Ron.

djfordmanjack

Lynn, I would take one for sure ! I have an original but it has lost a good bit of it's original pre load and needed several shims to hold up the frontend.
spring rate of hardended steel mostly depends on the shape. the E modulus should be pretty much the same on most steel. we are talking 100% spring back. of course mild steel would be more ductile and feel 'weaker' but it would be overstretched much earlier  than spring steel and it wouldn't pull back in its original shape. like if you overtightened a mild steel bolt.

lalessi1

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2015-06-10 00:23
This spring was discontinued and out of the MPC before the 1964 edition.
Also doesn't show in the 60-64 MPC.
Illustration book shows the group number is 16648 w/ the big disco star next to it.

Ron.

Ron, thanks for the info.

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2015-06-10 06:51
Lynn, I would take one for sure ! I have an original but it has lost a good bit of it's original pre load and needed several shims to hold up the frontend.
spring rate of hardended steel mostly depends on the shape. the E modulus should be pretty much the same on most steel. we are talking 100% spring back. of course mild steel would be more ductile and feel 'weaker' but it would be overstretched much earlier  than spring steel and it wouldn't pull back in its original shape. like if you overtightened a mild steel bolt.

The material for the repro would be C1074 tempered spring steel. It would be a much better spring than the original. The company quoting me is in Michigan and has supplied the automotive industry. I used an E of 30,000,000 psi in the calcs.
Lynn

jvo

I will sign up for this, as the one I took out of my Ranchero was broken, even though the parts car has one in place.  It looks like a trouble spot that could be avoided if replaced with a newer quality made part.
I will commit to buying one as long as the company quoting you in Michigan isn't getting quotes from China to make them.
Don't mean to sound like a jerk, and it sounds like it would be made in U.S., but I just want to be sure, and I am so done with anything from China if I can help it.
If I could roll back the years, back when I was young and limber, loose as ashes in the wind, had no irons in the fire.... wish I'd done things different, but wishin' don't make it so. ( Ian Tyson)

lalessi1

Quote from: jvo on 2015-06-10 10:13
I will sign up for this, as the one I took out of my Ranchero was broken, even though the parts car has one in place.  It looks like a trouble spot that could be avoided if replaced with a newer quality made part.
I will commit to buying one as long as the company quoting you in Michigan isn't getting quotes from China to make them.
Don't mean to sound like a jerk, and it sounds like it would be made in U.S., but I just want to be sure, and I am so done with anything from China if I can help it.

Thanks for the reply. I would not even consider this project unless I knew the part would be made here from material made here by somebody that knows what they are doing. It does make it more expensive, but you get what you pay for.
Lynn