News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Do I have to have my 312 machined orncan I wait?

Started by Custom300Madman, 2012-01-22 13:15

Previous topic - Next topic

KidKourier

Keith, Another idea, you said it was running.Does it run well enough for basic transportation? If so,you might want to go ahead and drive it while you rebuild another motor as you can afford parts.Find another 292/312 motor and do the machine work/rebuild as money becomes available and when completed do and engine swap.If numbers correct is important than keep original motor and rebuild/reswap when time/money allows.If not,disassemble and sell block,heads,rods/pistons,crank,etc. on ebay or craigslist,or here or complete long block!That way you can recoup some of your expenses. KID

Lgcustom

Do you have an oil pressure gauge on this engine? Is it holding decent pressure? My experience with a 272 years ago, I nursed it along for quite a while by installing a new oil pump and timing chain. The old chain got so worn that it finally skipped teeth on the timing gears. Put a new timing set and oil pump on and drove it another six months till the rear seal was leaking a quart every 20 miles!

Custom300Madman

Quote from: KidKourier on 2012-01-29 20:09
Keith, Another idea, you said it was running.Does it run well enough for basic transportation? If so,you might want to go ahead and drive it while you rebuild another motor as you can afford parts.Find another 292/312 motor and do the machine work/rebuild as money becomes available and when completed do and engine swap.If numbers correct is important than keep original motor and rebuild/reswap when time/money allows.If not,disassemble and sell block,heads,rods/pistons,crank,etc. on ebay or craigslist,or here or complete long block!That way you can recoup some of your expenses. KID

I definitely need the extra loot for the 460, I just don't want to regret selling the engine, because I know I'll never be able to find another one. It runs I did a tune up and new ignition components, the carb is original and idles high. (first carb rebuild was this 4bbl holly)
1957 Ford Custom 300 Fourdoor, with factory 312 yblock

Custom300Madman

Quote from: Lgcustom on 2012-01-30 10:18
Do you have an oil pressure gauge on this engine? Is it holding decent pressure? My experience with a 272 years ago, I nursed it along for quite a while by installing a new oil pump and timing chain. The old chain got so worn that it finally skipped teeth on the timing gears. Put a new timing set and oil pump on and drove it another six months till the rear seal was leaking a quart every 20 miles!

I don't have an oil pump, and have pulled the intake and valley cover as well as fpump only to find gobs of sludge. The thermostat housing looks like the titantic where it mounts to the intake is the same. I think the engine has 200k

Custom300Madman

sludge in the engine

Custom300Madman

Titanic like rust

Lgcustom

The sludge doesn't look too bad. No big clumps! The reason for the rocker oiling system add-on is because the internal oil passages in the block are plugged. The only way to fix that is a complete teardown and hot tank. Some of the y-block gurus on here may have figured out a way to modify the oiling passages to help the top oiling issue. The corrosion is kind of ugly! do you have cooling issues?

Where are you in Houston? I'm in Cypress.

Larry

Custom300Madman

Quote from: Lgcustom on 2012-01-31 10:56
The sludge doesn't look too bad. No big clumps! The reason for the rocker oiling system add-on is because the internal oil passages in the block are plugged. The only way to fix that is a complete teardown and hot tank. Some of the y-block gurus on here may have figured out a way to modify the oiling passages to help the top oiling issue. The corrosion is kind of ugly! do you have cooling issues?

Where are you in Houston? I'm in Cypress.

Larry

My gf's best friend and her husband live by you in cypress. I'm over by Humble off 59. The oil pressure is unknown, the engine was fairly quiet when running , with the exception of a rusted hole on the down pipe after the manifold collector.

I had started it up several times, 5-10 mins of letting it run then rest 10. Eventually all the smoke around the engine stopped and I gave a few revs, the black carbon and dust cleared out of the exhaust and it was clean. She didn't smoke and had good throttle response, however the idle was a little high.

I could never get the newly rebuilt carb (my first rebuild on carb) to idle down. it wasn't racing just wasn't a rump rump rump rump idle. More like 1000k hmmmm.