News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Aluminum direct bolt on radiator...

Started by JPotter57, 2012-10-10 17:25

Previous topic - Next topic

dgasman

The radiator for the six has the upper hose going to the driver side upper tank and the lower hose going to the passenger side lower tank. . The brackets are also different , the six radiator sits more forward in the core support because the six is longer than the v8 so they needed more room for the fan. The trick thing to do is have six cylinder brackets installed on a 8 cylinder radiator , it will give you about 1 inch extra clearance for the fan especially on a motor swap.the radiator with both outlets on the same side is not for any factory installed motor installed in our cars and it does not have a six cylinder bracket installed . The way to tell the two brackets apart is the six has the mounting surface more toward the back side of the core and the v8 is more flush with the front of the core.       Here is a link to a 58 with a six                                                           
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1958-FORD-CUSTOM-300-2-Door-Sedan-/271089067601?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3f1e2ae651#ht_500wt_1021
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

suede57ford

I just ordered an Aluminum Radiator for my Black '57 sedan.  

I discussed the getting the radiator anodized or collored black, but the resources they have been using are not availiable at this time.

Since I want my stuff to look factory original, I am going to put a coat of black epoxy, followed with a coat of black Single stage urethane with a little flatner added.  I feel it is alright to coat the tanks well.  I suggest nothing but a very light coat on the fins, just enough to get them looking black as to not hurt the heat transfer.

There was a mention to the origianl 6 cyl radiator having offset bracket to move the radiator ahead which is correct.  This is helpful for fan clutches or engine swaps.

On my factory radiator support I actually trimed a 1" strip out of the radiator support side where where the origianal radiator bolts on.  I then welded the brackets back on, metal finished it, and repainted it.   It looks totally stock, but gave me an extra inch of radiator to fan clearance.   This allowed me to use a fan clutch with multi-blade fan.  This helps prevent as much damage if a belt comes off, as the fan will stop if anything comes loose. Also the aftermarket fan blade helps with cooling.  I can get part numbers if someone needs.

I can send somebody pictures of how to modify your radiator support to move it ahead another inch with the original style radiator if they or PM me.

Thanks for putting information on this new 57-59 Ford item on the forum!  I am excited to get one.

Pat

57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

Pat...good timing...I was looking at my core support thinking about cutting a narrow slot at the top on each side to allow the radiator to slide down in front of the attaching area, then using 1" spacers to move it forward. I wasn't sure if these slots would weaken the structural integrety of the support. Also another posible downside is the radiator probably couldn't be removed from the car with the hood on.
I also haven't made any definite decisions about what engine, so I obviously don't know what I'll end up with as far as fans/schrouds/push or pull electric/etc. I am probably getting ahead of myself on the radiator placement.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

suede57ford

I can take some pictures of a modified radiator support this weekend.  I may need help posting pictures on the forum as I haven't learned how to upload pictures to the site.

Rich,The slot you are looking at cutting is where I take the slice out.  I just weld it back together  with everything slid ahead an inch. 

I have actually cut, welded, ground and painted one in the car.  I normally have the rad. support on the bench and test fit the actual radiator before welding .

The lower lip on the radiator support in the radiator opening needs trimed down, as now the radiator actually sits in the radiator support some instead of behind it.   You want ot keep the radiator as low as you can to help with hood clearance.

It's nice to be able to use an original style radiator if you ever need to replace it.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429