News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Trans cross member

Started by chero69gt, 2013-01-12 17:42

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I agree with Gary. The only way I'd go thru the frame is welding in a heavy wall piece of tubing protruding just a tad on inside and outside, then grinding flush after welding.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Do other components like the steering box and idler arm that are bolted through the frame have tubes? I wouldn't think the trans cross member would have to be tightened to the point of collapsing the frame? I would just snug it down good with lock nuts.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

hiball3985

Thanks, I'll have to take a look at that next week when I pull my box.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

I'm not saying that you would crush the frame but as you torque the bolts, the sides of the frame will squeeze some before the bolts are fully torqued.  Under normal driving conditions, stopping and starting, the cross member will move and eventually erode the bolt holes.  The frame was not that thick to begin with and 50 years of rust has them a little thinner.  Both the steering box and idler arm have sleeves.

hiball3985

It sounds like Rich's idea of putting in a tube would work pretty well then.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Frankenstein57

On racecars we would slip a piece of tube through and weld it like Gary and Rich are saying, then you can tighten it up all you want, Mark